LHM leak + gearbox woes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davetherave
My Cars:

LHM leak + gearbox woes

Post by davetherave »

I Have just been outside to top up my gearbox oil as my gear changes are getting worse and took more oil out than i put in, the oil that came out was not exactly golden! I did it as per haynes manual, perhaps the clutch is knackered?

It was whilst doing this i found an LHM leak :( I had previously identified a pipe that worried me as being rather coroded, well now I think it is this one that is leaking :evil:

I have been topping up the LHM each week but only by fairly small amounts, i dont know what the name of the pipe is, just that there is a rubber hose that comes out of the front regulator sphere that then becomes a metal pipe, i think its this one thats leaking!

Any ideas, if not perhaps someone could identify it at the rally (if i make it!)
Cheers
Dave
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Can you take a photo of it Dave?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds like the return pipe from the regulator, they perish at the end fitted to the regulator, its a long pipe so I usually bodge something up using two different sized pipes.

Having to much oil in the gearbox doesn't usually cause a problem except perhaps a leak or two. In what way are the gerchanges bad? If you are having difficulty getting into gear the clutch could be dragging, you can check by engaging reverse with the engine running, does it crunch? Otherwise it could be worn synchros.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have you the correct oil in?
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Corrosion might develop under the joints of gear change links. This causes difficulties during gear change. I apply some grease (cv joint grease or similar) under "cups" as shown in the picture.

As a gearbox oil 75W 80 is recommended and I have BE3 type box which takes 1.8 liters.
Last edited by VertVega on 10 Sep 2009, 21:07, edited 3 times in total.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Thanks for the reply's, it does have some difficulties doing reverse sometimes needs a double de clutch :( , ill go see if i can get a picture of the pipe.

Im pretty sure the oil is the right stuff!

Heres the pipe

GPZ500s
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

on BXs thats a power steering pipe

regards malcolm
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Well well well, thats a familier sight aint it Nigel ?????

Only saying that as I had a call early this week from Nigel, he had the same area leaking on his Xantia, but upon close inspection it was found to be the 4.5mm pipe above the big pipe, this had a pinhole right where it goes through the clip and was dripping onto the larger power steering pipe, this made it look as if the bigger pipe was leaking.

A quick cut, flare up and a coupling and we had the job sorted in no time, just in time for tea and biccies that were kindly supplied by Nigel, thanks Nigel they were choc digestives, my favorite, it just aint a real biccy unless it's got chocolate on it.

So give the area a good spraying with brake cleaner, this will leave everything nice and dry, then check to see the pipe thats causing the trouble, you will need to get it sorted as the top pipe is the 4.5mm main feed out of the regulator, split this and you loose everything hydraulic, the thicker pipe is the pump to power steering, I hope that it's not this one as when I priced it the other day, it was about £158 ish.

Regards
Martin.
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Thanks martin, hopefully which ever pipe it is is the cheaper of the two! is it not possible to make up a pipe?

There was me thinking it would be a nice easy gearbox oil top up!

If i lose everything hydraulic i guess its handbrake only to brake with then!
GPZ500s
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

citronut wrote:on BXs thats a power steering pipe
citronut, that's same in Xantia -> power steering pipe. I have posted a picture of this pipe (a LHD ike mine) in this topic: "whats it called please?" http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=28101]

Edit: davetherave, looking again at your picture, I've noticed that coil formed pipe is also wet. i.e. the leaking pipe might be that one, dripping over the below metal connector #-o. May be same shorter pipe as in the above topic link.

That's a rather long pipe traveling all around the engine room :lol: Is there any other way to cure this other than complete pipe replacement ? Any suggestions on how to improve the lifespan of that plastic-metal
connection?
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

It is possible to make the pipe if it is the 4.5mm (coiled pipe) what I did to Nigels car was to cut the pipe just after the clip and flare the end, then I put a female connector in and carried on to the regulator with a new piece of pipe.

Sometimes it is easier to just replace the whole pipe but in this case the coiled pipe goes to the priority valve and that is burried behind the gearbox, under the reservoir, so a full replacement would take time.

As for the larger pipe, it would be possible to get one made, but I do not have the tooling to do this as it is quite an expensive bit of kit.

Regards.
Martin.
George

Post by George »

Don't be tempted to overfill a gearbox, the pressure builds up and blows the oil seals where the driveshafts go in and you'll lose it all.

Dark discoloured gearbox oil and smelling like it's been burnt, esp. if after being underfilled is syptomatic of a failing diff.

Difficult clutch operation and gearchanges apart from the answers mentioned above can be caused by the gearbox coming adrift and sagging from the engine, check all bellhousing bolts and engine mounts.