xantia rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nickmcd
My Cars:

xantia rear suspension

Post by nickmcd »

Hi Everybody.
I'm a totally new convert to citroens and have just purchased a Xantia 2.0 16V. The car has been accident damaged front, only bumper and headlights, however when I start it the suspension goes up as normal. The front feels soft as normal but the rear is rock hard. Having readother topics can anyone tell me if this is just a matter of changing the rear spheres and is there any way of checking to pinpoint the cause of the problem.[?]
cheers Nick
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

A little mor info about your car would be helpful as there seem to be many variations of hydraulics on Xantias - hydractive, anti sink etc.
From what you say the car is rising to its correct height in which case your rear spheres have probably failed. To test get the car to normal height and sit on the back bumper with the engine running. The car should sink and after about 20 seconds rise again to its original height. If it doesn't drop - spheres have gone!
Replacing is easy if you have the correct tool toremove them with. So far as I know the procedure is similar to a BX where you must loosen them with the engine running and a support under the car to prevent it dropping on you should it drop. The reason for doing it this way is that the strut will not twist when under pressure but when not will try and wrap its pipework round itself.
I made an effective tool from the chain wrench I broke removing a sphere. The bit left was an octagonal bar with a 1/2 inch socket drive in one end. I welded a 2 1/2 inch wide strip of 2 mm steel to opposite flats so that it tightens itself when the socket it turned. It took longer to fit the device and the socket bar than to loosen the sphere. new spheres should be fitted hand tight only.
jeremy
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I should have stated that having loosened the sphere you should then jack it up properly and support it and depressurise the suspension by lowering it fully and loosening the bleed bolt on the regulator. When you have finished run the engine for a little while (1 min?) to bleed the system (probably unnecessary but saves trouble) then tighten the bolt and raise the suspension. The system should pressurise normally and any air will be expelled on raising and lowering the suspension a few times.
jeremy