Freaky "hey thats my car" moment

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Freaky "hey thats my car" moment

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Hey all,
During my normal walk to town for lunch today I had a real freaky moment, I walked out of Waitrose only to find my just outside in car in the car park!

Well at first glance it appeared to be my car, upon closer inspection it was a year newer (X reg) and had black leather instead of tan. What are the chances of that? Guess I'm not the only one with light green mk2 V6 exclusive after all.

Anyone else had a freaky moment like that?
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Cor!

I had that a few months ago, heading Exeter direction from Westpoint (Sidmouth road) and saw a white R reg Xantia with body coloured bumpers going around a roundabout in front of me :lol:
Unfortunatly I don't think the other person would have ticked as I was a passenger in a Mk5 Golf at the time.

You should have stuck a bit of paper under his wipers with "www.frenchcarforum.co.uk" on it :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Kev's car and my LX are only a few numbers different on the reg (was it 11 or 18?)

I've come out of a curry house in Basingrad when I worked for the AA with my first Xantia, saw an emerald green Xantia parked in a bush and thought "What wally's parked their car in a bush?" to then realise it was mine!
It had the old slipping handbrake problem and had rolled down the carpark, bounced over the kerb and was only prevented from heading out into the ring road traffic by the bush!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Oh yes, and that numberplate similarity!
Mines R508. Maybe at one point in the past they were parked up next to each other at a dealership. Though I've got a funny feeling that mine would have been specially ordered being a fleet car.
Xac, it would be interesting to see who the first owner was, whether it was bought by the same company even?
Mine was Avis Fleet Services.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

I had that feeling just last Thursday :) :)

Was quite happily driving along in my lorry when i saw a nice looking blue Xantia approaching in the opposite direction.Looked at the reg plate and it took a few seconds to register,looks like mine,that reg is familiar it is mine :lol: :lol: :lol:

Forgot SWMBO was out that way on thursdays :lol: :lol: :lol:

Colin
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Don't go here guys, I see my old Xantia at least once a week and still curse myself for my own stupidity, but hey, what's new?

Silver Mk 1 2.1 TD Desire 2

GGGGGGrrrrrrrrrrr
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Trainman wrote: Silver Mk 1 2.1 TD Desire 2
Yes, I can understand that fully. It's OK if it's still being loved but if you saw yuour old car on a weekely basis and saw it deteriorating then that's another thing entirely.

I've sold countless cars in my driving career but rarely have I seen them again after selling them. Only once, so far, have a heard the fate of one of my cars.

That one was my 205GTi. I spent four years sorting it and really made it good. Sold it to a 205GTi enthusiast and six weeks later I heard it had been written off :cry: A dustcart crushed it.

That's not counting my original Activa of course. Xantiaman583 has that now and he has improved it beyond all recognition. He turned a scruffy but mechanically good car into a concours winner :D

My original 1.9TD Xantia I sold to a fellow forum member and to my knowledge all is still good with that one.

Steve, if you desire a 2.1TD again, I have mine for sale. I'll be sad to see it go but life evolves and daughters need cars... I really hope it goes to a fellow forum member who'll love and care for it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I saw the twin of my estate, about six months back. Ever since, I've regretted not stopping for the photo-op.
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

"What wally's parked their car in a bush?" to then realise it was mine!
definite lol :lol:
You should have stuck a bit of paper under his wipers with "www.frenchcarforum.co.uk" on it
Thats not a bad idea Kev, I might try make up some crude business cards to that effect, theres a lovely mk1 silver V6 exclusive parked in Apsley mills retail park every day (well every day I've been there) I've been wanting to introduce the owner to the FCF for a while.

There also a Citroen enthusiast in Nash mills he has 2 CX's and various Xantias in his drive \ front garden I see when I pass his house (rarely these days)
Should like to card these folks.
Bit like BarryBoys forum, but only for nice cars instead ;)

*edit not Bourne End but Nash Mills, doh!
Last edited by Sid_the_Squid on 07 Sep 2009, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Many years ago, came out of the pub (Lion Inn on blakey ridge) got into my blue Dyane only to find that it was someone else's blue Dyane that my key happened to fit!

Didn't half get out of it quick!!!! :oops:
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Not exactly a double take of mine, but i did have a dark blue french Xantia saloon following me onto the motorway in Stockport on Sunday morning. It looked great on a proper french reg :wink:

Wierd thing was though it was RHD :? Definately french though...the guy looked french and the car was dirty :lol: No offence, i love the french... :)
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Xac wrote:I've come out of a curry house in Basingrad when I worked
for the AA with my first Xantia, saw an emerald green Xantia parked
in a bush and thought "What wally's parked their car in a bush?"
to then realise it was mine!
Brilliant!!
:lol:

So what did you do?

Plan A
Walk shiftily to the car avoiding eye contact and skulk away embarrassed
as quickly as possible praying someone wasn't going to give hassle

OR

Plan B
Walk confidently nonchalantly to the car whistling and cheerily saying
"Hi" to everyone pretending you always park the car that way!!

:lol: :lol:

I didn't miss the photo op for my mega rare series 1 Turbo1 a few years
ago at a Citroen rally when one of it's rare buddies appeared on the radar:

I'd just had the wheels redone and didn't have the centres in good enough
condition to match the rest!

BTW...

I'm perfectly happy to offer my services as an enthusiast/full time graphic
designer if anyone fancies a flier or webpage masthead etc ;)

Andrew

Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

Sorry Jim, really wish I could but (a) HRH has decided we are going on holiday :D (b) My brother-in-law has a ZX estate that may well be coming my way for free, would prefer the 2.1 but beggars can't be choosers as they say........ :lol: :lol:
Steve

reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

In the 1980s my father's then wife had just bought a Volvo 240. She took me into town and sent me to a shop while she waited on double yellow lines. When I came back she was gone but the car was still there so I got in and waited.

After a bit I decided to listen to the radio, but it was in the wrong place. I looked around and realised to my horror that it wasn't our Volvo, and it wasn't even the same colour. Time for a sharp exit. I got out just as a traffic warden walked up. "Is this your car?". Time for an even sharper exit. :oops:
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

Just after mum passed her test, dad rang her to say that he had bought her a car, all she had to do was get to the garage and pick it up, oh and call and get it insured on the way.

Off she sets on the bus, to the insurance office, sorts everything out, jumps on the next bus to the garage, finds dad, "Where's the car?" looking a little sheepish "Well love.....You see someone offered me more than I paisd for it so I sort of sold it............."
Steve