Towing eye on the front of a Xsara.....MK1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Towing eye on the front of a Xsara.....MK1

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Hi guys,

I am collecting the Xsara from the insurance tomorrow. I don't want to drive it as I have already surrendered the tax.

The screw in towing eye that lives in the boot I can't remember if there is a towing 'receptacle' in the front bumper somewhere that it screws into??

I have never needed to use it!! Only time it broke down it went on the back of a recovery truck.

Any answer asap would be great!! Thanks again folks.

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I can't speak for the Xsara, but the Xantia s2 has a cap covering the front
cross member where a thread is hidden for the towing eye to thread on:

I don't know if this helps visualise your requirement:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-Saxo-Xsar ... 0391767868

Andrew
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

I have got a feeling there is something near the front fog light...

It's got to have a towing eye thread somewhere I would have thought?
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I don't think you can legally tow a car witout tax, though :?

If you were stopped, the Police might be lenient under the circumstances, but who can say?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe that it is now illegal to use towropes, a solid bar is the only legal option.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

If any of the car's wheels are touching the road it must have tax, MOT and insurance.

If you have transferred your insurance to another car you should get one of those "one day cover" policies you can get online. The police might overlook tax or MOT, and it's just a fine if they don't, but they will not overlook an uninsured vehicle and that's a minimum of six points.

Apologies if that's stating the bleeding obvious but it's something that's easily forgotten about.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Insurance is still in place, albeit reduced to 3rd part only as it's been declared a total loss. They wrote to me saying to help me sort it our bla bla bla cover is now 3rd party only. It is still MOT'd until March too. Just no tax now.

I will be towing with a solid metal tow bar. Would never use rope again!

It's only a short distance, bout 7 miles so shouldn't be too bad.

Had good news on my claim, I now have CCTV footage showing the van swing to the left, me come past then him swing right, into the side of me.

It was fortunate it happened right outside my place of work!

It looks like my car goes up on two wheels at point of impact!!

No wonder my back and neck have been so bad.....the solicitors will be getting the footage.....
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Excellent news that you have the CCTV coverage, irrefutable evidence.
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Thanks Steve.
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe that it is now illegal to use towropes, a solid bar is the only legal option.
This, copied from another forum, seems to sum up the consensus of opinion well:

{There is no specific offence of 'towing a vehicle other than with a tow bar'. However, there's now far greater awareness than there used to be that using a tow rope can be unsafe. The (recently revised) Highway Code restricts itself to this statement:
"In the event of a breakdown, be aware that towing a vehicle on a tow rope is potentially dangerous. You should consider professional recovery."

If a police officer sees you towing another vehicle with a tow rope he has to ask himself whether a court would be likely to rule that the procedure was unsafe. If so, you'll probably end up with a fine and penalty points for contravening the relevant section of the Road Traffic Acts which deals with failure to have proper control of a vehicle.}
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

on the mk 2 the towing eye thread is behind a little square cap on the bumper under the n/s headlight. may well be the same for the mk1.
As far as the towing goes i dont belive towing on a rope is illegal just not ideal.
When towing on a solid bar legally the car being towed becomes a steered trailer so all trailer rules apply, must have legal tyres, working lights & braking (if the gross weight of the car is over 750kg although the brakes are not required if the car is broken down) & it must display the number plate of the car towing it.
The working lights & brakes count as long as the brakes & brake lights come on when the towed car presses its brakes. Taking all this into account in my opinion i dont see why the towed car needs to have tax while it is attatched to the bar. It cant be ANPR checked is it doesent have a number plate.
Also the person towing it has to check that they are entitled to tow with their driving licence (depending on the weights of both cars)