diesel pump pressure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kevino
My Cars: i have a c5 vtr which i love.
Ive had, visa GT, 2cv, dyane, BX X 5, 2x xsaras, mark 1&2.

diesel pump pressure

Post by kevino »

Hi I have a xantia 1994 l reg 1.9td saloon and I have a lack of power since my Xantia came back from the garage having had a new diesel pump, I was wondering how do you adjust the pump pressure and is it worth doing? and how do you do it?
Do I adjust the nut which is in the middle of the four pipe outlets going to the fuel injectors on the pump, or am I looking in the wrong place?

many thanks Kevino
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Kevin,

Why was the pump replaced?

On a 1994 TD with a fully mechanical pump, the most likely cause is that the timing has not been correctly set or that they have fitted the wrong pump. If they fitted an AS3 semi-electronic from a later car it will work but it will be stuck in the fully retarded position with no timing advance with speed. Performamce will be rubbish.

Timing is critical on a diesel.

There is no pressure adjustments as such and I'd caution against twiddling anything until the timing is known to be right.

Whatever you do, don't touch the hexagon between the injector delivery outlets on the back of the pump. It's the timing DTI access hole and behind there is diesel at full injection pressure. Very dangerous if you loosen it with the engine running!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...