peugeot 306 hdi 1999 t reg

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia 1.9td 1999

peugeot 306 hdi 1999 t reg

Post by xantia 1.9td 1999 »

Hello

Iv had trouble starting my car on afew occasions early morning, im not sure if its related, the fuel pump that sits in the tank sounds a little louder as it pumps fuel, cant really describe the sound too well unfortunately, its almost like its whining which sounds like it might be struggling?????. however, it only does it occasionally?

has anyone had a similar problem.. im more concerned about the fuel pump failing as i have heard they are an arm and a leg. thanks
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It may need the strainer cleaning. If it is blocked the pump will be struggling to shift the fuel.

Eurocarparts don't even have the category for your car :shock:
GSF indicate £69.55.

Part #N18375
xantia 1.9td 1999

Post by xantia 1.9td 1999 »

myglaren wrote:It may need the strainer cleaning. If it is blocked the pump will be struggling to shift the fuel.

Eurocarparts don't even have the category for your car :shock:
GSF indicate £69.55.

Part #N18375
thanks
Is the strainer easy to clean and is it located within the rear fuel pump? or are you refering to the one in the engine bay, the black coloured housing which holds the fuel filter? If you are refering to the one in the front why is the extra noise coming from the rear end?

Also i was having a look at HONEST JOHN and found some information, see below link. im a pretty good DIYist however, reading through the link im not sure weather i should attempt trying to solve it or alternatively leave it? i dont want to end up opening a can of worms? ADVICE ADVICE PLS?????

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/ ... tm?t=32784
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Someone correct me if am wrong with any of the following but the lift pump and associated strainer are in the fuel tank. Access is under the rear seat behind the driver's seat a large round plastic 'plug' of approximately 6" diameter.

Image Image Image
clickable thumbnails

These are from my son's 306 - there are two access plugs under the fabric cut-outs. My money is on the left hand side one.

Removing that gives access to the tank seal. there will be several wires and a couple of fuel pipes going through the seal.

Before going any further is is wise to protect the rear seating area with polythene sheeting and old towels etc to absorb any spilled diesel.

The pipes may have to be disconnected to allow the seal to be removed. Tie some thread to the pipes so you can recover them if they get pushed out of reach, same with any wires removed.

There will be a large bayonet ring securing the seal. These can be very tight. The usual bethod of releasing them is to place a flat screwdriver alongside one of the lugs and give it a sharm tap anticlockwise with a hammer, then move to the opposing lug and do the same, then one of the others, then it's opposing one, then start from the beginning again. Do be carefull not to distort it.
When it comes free there will be an 'o' ring round the outside of the seal. Best to renew this as diesel leaks on the rear seat won't endear you to anyone, especially if they sit in it.

You should now be able to withdraw the lift pump and strainer and assess the condition of the strainer and clean if required.

Some of the lift pumps start to break down and put fine swarf into the fuel feed, inspect your pump for wear and replace it as required.
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Hi,

I am breaking a Xsara HDi at the moment. (See for sale and want)I am not sure, so would need to check, but I would have thought the lift pump in the tank is the same part.

I replaced it last year with new one which is a VDO brand one.

I would like £20 for it. It has done no more than 6k in my car.

Sorry to appear opportunist, but I would rather sell it at a reasonable price than it get thrown away, which it will do if nobody has it.

Cheers,

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Oh and changing the lift pump is easy....just make sure there is not to much fuel in the tank when you do it!!...Mine failed when my tank was nearly full, and A LOT of diesel spilt.

You lift the plastic cover under the drivers side rear seat and there is a electrical connector and two quick release pipes, which just unclip and pull off, the electrical connector pulls off. Undo the bit plastic ring securing the unit, and it just lifts out. Refitting is reverse.

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
bliss

HI Rob have you the pump email grdbliss@googlemail.com

Post by bliss »

Nuneatonrob wrote:Hi,

I am breaking a Xsara HDi at the moment. (See for sale and want)I am not sure, so would need to check, but I would have thought the lift pump in the tank is the same part.

Sorry to appear opportunist, but I would rather sell it at a reasonable price than it get thrown away, which it will do if nobody has it.

Cheers,

Rob
bliss

Re: HI Rob have you the pump email grdbliss@googlemail.com

Post by bliss »

bliss wrote:
Nuneatonrob wrote:Hi,ROB If you still have pump Email me grdbliss@googlemail,com or phone 01267202452 I have a peugeot 306 HDI 1999I was told it should fit? Cheers GEOFF

Cheers,

Rob