New to Citroen

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nickmid
My Cars:

New to Citroen

Post by Nickmid »

I am looking to buy a Xantia Turbo Diesel saloon or estate. I am familiar with the diesel engine having had a few Peugeot's in the past. What I am not sure of is the Citroen running gear.
I have looked at a few now in order to buy but was worried on one example of a Xantia estate with a very heavy clutch, which juddered a bit in first and second, a fairly frequent clicking from the hydraulics and what felt like bumpy suspension over rougher roads.
Are these normal features or might these points be expensive if needing repair or maintenance. Apologies if these points are obvious to the forum. But I am a bit nervous before buying a Xantia.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The 1.9 engine and box is I belive the same as the 405/406 and the 2.1 the same as the 406. They do tend to have heavy clutches, especially when worn. A good clutch will get lighter the further you push the pedal down although it does'nt necessaraly mean its worn out if it doesn't. The hydropnumatic suspension does tend to ride hard over short sharp bumps but should be good on the road. You can test it by bouncingeach corner, you should have 3 - 6" of up and down movement with the engine running depending on the condition of the spheres.