Of catalysts and headlamp bulbs!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

centurus2400

Of catalysts and headlamp bulbs!

Post by centurus2400 »

I'd noticed a slight blow from under the trusty C5 110 HDi during the last few weeks. While I had it up on ramps to change the oil and filter I decided to investigate further and found the cat. had almost parted company from the rest of the pipe due to corrosion. Still, after 8 years and about 125,000 miles I suppose that's not too bad.

Some years ago I had a Longlife stainless silencer fiited to the car, which is still perfect. As I live near Oxford I thought I'd take the car into their newly opened local franchise at Weston-on the Green. I was initially going to ask for a quote to de-cat the car, but they said they could do the job there and then and quoted a very reasonable price too :D , so I let them get on with it. The job took an hour or so, and I now have a slightly throaty sounding C5....which definitely seems to go slightly better than it did before, in fact it pulls like a train. Guess I must have gained a few more horses-the fact that the engine is remapped probably helps too!

The next job was to change the headlamp bulbs in preparation for the imminent MOT. One had failed and it's such a PITA I always replace all four lot at the same time. In the past I've struggled and sworn trying to do the job in situ, but now I did the sensible thing and took the front bumper off. This enables the headlamp units to be unbolted and removed-changing the bulbs then is a doddle. I use the Osram Silverstars which give a useful amount of extra light and have a decent lifespan. these had been in 3 years.

All I have to do now is book the MOT and keep my fingers crossed.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Did they use a ready-made pipe for the decat, or make something up for you?
centurus2400

Post by centurus2400 »

They made up a pipe to fit as required :)