Chinese Lexia help needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Chinese Lexia help needed

Post by FrenchLeave »

As the proud owner of a brand new Lexia3 clone, I'm hoisting the distress flags.

Kit came with the 9780.Z5 interface, connecting lead to a standard OBD2 plug and a lead with a USB connector to couple to the laptop. Hangs head in shame, it took five days to find I needed a special lead to couple the OBD connector to the PSA 30 pin one.

Thanks to help from here and XM forum, I located a supplier. John (XMexclusive) also came up trumps by loaning me one.

Problem is that using each lead in turn on each XM in turn the program reports "no dialogue" against every ECU.

Seems to me that there are several possible causes for this unfortunate state of affairs:

1. Both OBD2 to PSA30 leads have been wired up incorrectly (they are identical). John supplied me with a supposedly correct list of connections and they are different from the two leads.
2. The Chinese clone is faulty, I'm not looking forward to that one!
3. Operator error. This is the most likely scenario as I really don't know what I'm doing.

Can anybody help me please? I can do without comments from professionals saying I should have left it to them :D

Derek
1999 XM V6 Exclusive, Black
1994 XM 2.0 TurboCT estate, green of course: now gone to no3 son
2004 C3 1.6 auto exclusive with Sensodrive - the wife's but she doesn't like it
1994 ZX 1.8i auto - the wife's new baby

citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

make sure you get the lead to be recognised. i forget exactly how i did it, but roughly, it may or may not give you a clue as to what to look into to fix your problem -

-there is a list of com ports for your laptop in control panel i think.
-one of them is the lead you have, you need to make sure it recognises and that it appears in that list.

sorry i can't remember what else to do, but i had that problem at the start and that was the cure. someone who knows will be along
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: Chinese Lexia help needed

Post by MikeT »

FrenchLeave wrote:Thanks to help from here and XM forum, I located a supplier.
May I ask who this is as I'm trying to source some cables?
FrenchLeave wrote:Problem is that using each lead in turn on each XM in turn the program reports "no dialogue" against every ECU.
As already advised, you might need to tinker with the laptop/PC com port settings. Hopefully there's interface instructions for the settings needed?
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

There's no need to alter COM port settings with the Chinese Lexia. It should all set up automatically. I suppose it's conceivable that the software needs to know that you're using the adaptor lead though.

Which software are you using? I use Lexia. The seller also sent me a Proxia disk, which wouldn't see anything at all (although I didn't explore any reasons why).

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

MikeT wrote:you might need to tinker with the laptop/PC com port settings
As it's a USB connection the Com port settings won't have any relevance.

The one thing that you may not be doing is connecting all the leads to the laptop before starting the program.

My leads are in three sections. An ordinary USB A-B lead. The intermediate section (probably where most of the value lies) is an oblong box with a USB port at one end (badged Citroen and Actia) and the other end is round 50 pin connector. The final short section (probably the remaining value!) is the matching multi-pin connector socket at one end and the EOBD connector (badged Actia) at the other.

It sounds like yours is made up of only two sections. Perhaps this a later modification or maybe it's a Chinese difference.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Mike, e-bay purchase from here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

Paul, same as yours, three sections; USB to main unit, the main unit, and the cable from the main unit to the OSB2 plug.

James, I'm using Lexia3.

In each trial I plugged all the units together, connected to the laptop (Dell Inspiron), then finally connected to the PSA diagnostic plug. Ran the program, switched on the ignition and finally selected a full test. It was at that stage that it came up with the info that it wasn't making contact with any ECUs.

Having done the investigation I can publish the pin to pin wiring on the new lead if anyone's interested. Does anybody have the correct info?

Derek

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If the ICC interface (the box that says actia on it) is not recognised the program wont even let you into the other menus, it just says: The comunication card is incorrectly initialised, The tool must be restarted. The same as you see if you try to start the program with the lead not plugged in.
Have you tried it on another car with the 16 pin adaptor ?
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Paul-R wrote:
MikeT wrote:you might need to tinker with the laptop/PC com port settings
As it's a USB connection the Com port settings won't have any relevance.
Unless it's a USB to COM hack.... but Sl4yer assures us that's not the case here.

Thanks for the link FrenchLeave, I've seen that before but don't understand where the samller connector hooks up to as my Actia has the round 50-pin connection.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi FL.

Does your Lexia have a LED fitted, if so is lit? Mine has a chavvy blue one - no comments thanks, personally I hate blue LED despite the feat of engineering they represent.

Have you opened up device manager in Windows when plugging in the Lexia to the laptop to see that the device is actually recognized and drivers loaded?

Have you tested the cars sockets for power - it's a long shot but I've heard of other owners where the diagnostic socket had lost power? I've not looked into whether the PC or the car provides the power for the Lexia, that would depend on the designed current draw of the device and whether the laptop could support it. I've found some laptops better than others in this respect.

Steve.
not applicable
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Mike, my kit came with a lead which had a mating 30 pin round socket that connected to the round plug on the main unit. The other end of this lead has a standard 16 pin OBD2 plug which will apparently fit most cars but not the PSA diagnostic plug on the XM (and I believe the Xantia). The lead on e-bay provides the connection between the two.

Wheeler, unfortunately I don't know anyone who has a Citroen that has the standard OBD2 30 pin socket. (Wrong. My daughter-in-law has a C5, but she lives 170 miles away and wouldn't let me play with her car anyway! Miserable cow! :D)

Steve, mine has an ultra-bright green LED. If I try to run the program without the kit attached to the USB port, it won't start. Running it with the kit attached but not connected to the XM(s) gives exactly the same readout as when it's connected to either of the cars. It points to a malconnection between the main unit and the car(s) but I don't know where.

Thank you all for your input. Keep it coming.

Derek

PS. At the moment I have an expensive mantelpiece ornament - and not a very attractive one.

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

FrenchLeave wrote:Mike, my kit came with a lead which had a mating 30 pin round socket that connected to the round plug on the main unit
That's one of the cables I'm after or at least the pinouts and somewhere to buy the plug/socket from, why it's required I don't understand because AFAIK it's only used to connect the three Diagnostic connectors, as you've discovered - the 2-pin, 16-pin and 30-pin.

Sorry to get so off-topic...

In the meantime, is there a specific sequence of fitment? ie, should the cars ignition be on before plugging in?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote: That's one of the cables I'm after or at least the pinouts and somewhere to buy the plug/socket from, why it's required I don't understand because AFAIK it's only used to connect the three Diagnostic connectors, as you've discovered - the 2-pin, 16-pin and 30-pin.
Mike, sorry :oops: In all the shennagins that has been happening recently I clean forgot I was going to buzz out my cables and let you know the pinouts. I will do so, promise..

The 30 pin socket is the tricky one for you to get hold of so one of thiose Chines 16 pin EOBD to 30 pin adaptors will be good for you. You'll only then need to make up a 37 way "D" type to 16 pin EOBD lead then and the 16 pin EOBD connectors are readily available, unlike the 30 pin one.

(sorry from me too for hijacking this thread even moreso :P )
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi FL,

If you wanted to come up to Sheffield on Saturday you're welcome to try the Lexia on the XM and the C5. I've got a 16 to 30 adapter in my kit.

Is that any help to you?

Mike, the Lexia software tells you what it requires in terms of ignition on/off, engine started/stopped, etc. Because it's a USB device so long as it's plugged into the PC before starting the software I haven't found it matters.

Steve.
not applicable
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

CitroJim wrote:Mike, sorry :oops: In all the shennagins that has been happening recently I clean forgot I was going to buzz out my cables and let you know the pinouts. I will do so, promise..
No rush Jim. Unless I can get the connectors, I won't be needing the pinouts. :(
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Hi Steve, I'll take you up on your kind offer. I'll also bring my kit and we can try yours and mine on different cars to perhaps locate the fault - I'm hoping it's me! I'll come in the V6 XM.

Could you email your address please.

Derek