non French - spark plugs

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

non French - spark plugs

Post by jgra1 »

hi all, how are these?

some are old, most show blackening around the ceramic, and I would say all are the lean side of normal, but not that bad...

they are the back 6 from the V8 motorhome, which has its maiden voyage to the new forest on Fri! :D

to my eyes, in real life, they are tan , light tan not white...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2fj8MH_LeQ0/S ... +plugs.jpg

John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gonna say John, there was only 6 there and it's a V8 :lol: :lol:

To be honest, they do indeed look a tad on the lean side but not that bad. Was that picture taken after a run or a period of idling?

For a non-cat car'b engine, I'd like to see then just a tad on the more tanned side.

Where in the New Forest are you off to? One of the Forestry Commission sites? We used to go every year to a site called Setthorns near Sway. Absolutely lovely place :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the ceramic part of those plugs need a good clean, as the black on then will lead to the HT tracking to earth,

two of then also look like they are newer than the reast, as the metal part of the body is cleaner

regards malcolm
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

hi Jim :D took the other two out, all 8 the same..

they definitely are a light brown in the flesh... cleaned them all up with wire bush and checked and gapped..

the van was idleing for a few mins after a proper heavy 15 mile run...

I can richen the idle mix screws a few turns but the light colour may be caused by lean primary jets/ needles.. there is also a part throttle setting (basically the main needles have a limit of how low the sit within the jets, under low or part throttle) .. I could get an emissions test but I am not sure I need to , just pull a plug every now and again...

Jim I am going to Setthorns! looking forward to it :)
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

Hi Malcolm, cleaned them all up, including ceramic, will keep an eye on this part.. they all white now :)

they dont seem to have sealing rings/washers?

two are newer yep.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

there is some unfiltered air getting in.. only a bit, but i can cap it and it may help...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jgra1 wrote: Jim I am going to Setthorns! looking forward to it :)
Excellent :D You'll really love it, free pitching in the trees and a proper point to empty certain tanks on the motorhome. I could be very tempted to come down and pay you a visit!

In that case, if the plugs look well tanned after a 15 mile run and just a spell of idling, not much to worry about at all.

Is it idling Ok now?

Did you get the bike sorted?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

Jim you would be welcome for a tea :) and Mike's not far away >?

it idles a bit rough but I just dont know what a V8 carb engine should be like ? its got exhaust joint leaks which I dont think I can fix :( they may not be helping much.. the bolts are very very old and will snap

bike.. which one.. big one is nearly through an MOT, got a jobswroth on that really :(

the other remains unchanged ;)

looking forward to the FC site! so the grey waste can be sorted easily
~? not worried about the other, takes a month

:twisted:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thats all white then all white,

John make sure you keep all your food under lock and key down there in the forest, or the poneys will knick it,

have you gopt an A frame if so you could take one of your projects with you,

just to give Jim something to wash the TEA and chocy bicys down with

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote: John make sure you keep all your food under lock and key down there in the forest, or the poneys will knick it
You're not wrong about that Malcolm :lol: It's not unusual at all to wake up and find a pony or deer looking at you through the caravan window!!!

Not sure an A frame is a good idea though. The RV itself is a biggie and with a project on the back, an HGV licence would be needed...
Jim

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Personally, I would have thrown those plugs away and bought a new set, especially if you want to learn from them. Are they the correct heat range?

Did you not learn to do plug-chops on the bikes John? Can give you a run-down if you want but it's best done with a few new sets of plugs (expensive!) and I suspect it's not an easy task pulling all eight at the side of the road? Then again if you've got exhaust and maybe induction leaks, you'd best get those fixed first before fiddling with the fuelling.

I hope the weather holds out for you but the area is so unique it's still a wonderful place to be, even in a storm. I've got a guest coming down on Thursday and will be out and about myself until Sunday. How long are you down for?
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

hi Mike yep take your point about plugs.. they are all clean and free of rust now, so at least i have a starting point.. pulling plugs is possible. but not too easy... I would guess that the colour of one is prety indicitive of all though? all cylinders have good compression too.

The airfilter mixing plate (lpg) has an entry for lpg which I am not using at the moment, that is about 15mm entry for extra air into carb.. will block that.
I cant do anything about the exhaust flange leaks :( as soon as i try to undo the flanges the bolts will snap :(

there is another thing I noticed last night.. the offside downpipe has a vacuum driven flange within, it is supposed to block warm exhaust gas and send it back under the carb and out the other exhaust.. to help cold starting...
it is(was) stuck in this position all the time on test run...

I suppose this wouldn't help the heat of the engine/plugs (although engine was running between 80 and 90) it would lose a few horses too.

I cant do much more now, the trip is really a test run and I am out of time :( i will get breakdown recovery and i am pretty hopeful all will be well :)

Mike I should be there friday night till Tuesday morning. would be nice to catch up for a beer or come on over maybe..
we have penciled in cycling to an IOW ferry for one day..
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

:D A frames.. thats a polarising issue for sure :)
The RV itself is a biggie and with a project on the back, an HGV licence would be needed...
;) its a baby by their standards Jim :)

I do hope to pull the little boat behind it this year :) that will be a road train , 40' I think...

not sure it that will be legal :evil:
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

if the engine is very lean.. if... what is worst case scenario.. holed pistons after an hour of running ?

I may get an emissions check from my local mot chap before i venture too far...

like I say, the plugs are light coloured but tan not white.. and there is at least one airfilter entry I will block off....
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Maybe I'm being too cautious but I really think that if you can afford not to be concerned about a melted piston or two then go ahead and take the risk but if you've got serious doubts it's too lean, I personally wouldn't want to take the chance on a long run. Too rich, no problem but not too lean.

If the exhaust system is doubtful, I wouldn't put too much reliance in a gas analysis either - plug chop is the best and most accurate I know of. Can you not buy at least one set and do a few pulls? It'll be worth the peace of mind at least IMHO.

Sorry if this might have put the dampers on your holidays :(