VEGGIE OIL OR SIMILAR IN A C5???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chris050

VEGGIE OIL OR SIMILAR IN A C5???

Post by chris050 »

Folks
I had a previous query with my new (to me) C5. The feedback I got was fantastic and I thought I'd run this one by you all. Maybe I shouldn't tinker with this subject but just thought I'd ask....

I have a 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 Manual
I do get very good MPG, averaging 47-48mpg but I was wondering if these engines are capable of running on a "cheaper" fuel like veggie oil or bio-diesel. Has anyone tried it? Am I likely to knacker the car if I try it myself? Is it an absolute no-no or can it be done without modification?

As always, the advice I get will be heeded!! lol

Chris
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Hi Chris, I can only speak for myself here, I spoke to Citroen about using Biodiesel in 2.2 HDi I had, they told me in no uncertain terms that (a) it would void the warrenty (b) It could cause a considerable amount of damage.

hence gave it up as a bad idea, but i could be wrong..........
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
chris050

Post by chris050 »

Hi Trainman
I kinda thought that might be the nature of replies. I know some cars will cope with it better than others. A friend has an old Vauxhall Vectra diesel and he uses veggie oil regularly with no complaints. But I can't afford to make a mistake with my one and only car.

Many thanks
Chris
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I would have thought a twin tank setup where the properly refined veggie oil was brought into play once the engine had reached a certain temperature and was switched back to diesel a good few miles before the end of the journey to flush out all the veggie oil from the injection pump. This would only work on longer journeys what with the HDIs being such effiecent lumps. Im no expert mind.
The old 1.9 Bosch injected TD will run on anything that feels oily or so it seems :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

No!

Veg oil in an HDI will ruin it :cry:

It doesn't vapourise like diesel and doesn't burn completely. The residue coats the cylinder walls and gums up the rings and valves.

Only the older engines with a pre chamber can burn svo properly.

I have run mine for a while on properly converted biodiesel. First from wvo then from straight rapeseed oil. It was no different than standard diesel in performance or economy (mine is rubbish anyway) but the exhaust smelled better than standard diesel.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Bio-Diesel should be fine in any modern diesel car, at least 5% of what you put in from a normal pump now has to be bio anyway :)

For cars that have run on normal diesel for a long time there are some pitfalls...

- It will clean the fuel system out very well so be prepared after about 500miles or less to get your fuel filter changed after running on 100% bio.

- mix it in portions, so on a C5 that would be about 10 litres for the first 2-3 tanks and if its ok move upto 20 litres of bio per tank and so on and so forth.
If any misfiring or loss of performance develops go straight back to dino diesel.

- In winter most people mix anyway unless they make their own bio and winterize it. this can easily be done by putting in at least 10litres of a performance diesel to every tank full of bio thins it down enough for the cold to stop it trying to wax over.

- Dont forget to boot you car every now and again even on normal diesel as it will help clear the cobwebs off as it were, and is good on bio as it helps burn things off a little bit more than dino diesel.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Most manufacturers I've heard about do not warranty any more than 5-10% biodiesel in their engines either.
Personally, I would use nothing but proper diesel in a direct injection car.
If you want to use biodiesel or veg, then you'll just have to sell up and buy a better car, like the Xantia 1.9TD ;)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Veggie oil ? No! not just No! but hell No!!, No way!.

Pure Bio Diesel? Well in theory, but I think I would want to know a lot about the quality control of the source and characteristics particularly with respect to lubrication and viscosity before I would use it.

cachaciero
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Don't PSA say no more than 30% bio mix in a HDI?
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

NO Not veggie but bio diesel yes but only use B30 blend which is recommended for use in citroen HDi's by citroen.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 27 Aug 2009, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
chris050

Post by chris050 »

Hello all

I think the general consensus here is that it isn't worth talking the risk. I'm not really interested in getting twin tanks or making any alterations to the car so I reckon the best thing to do is leave it as it is. Like I said, my economy is actually very good so rather than ruin what I think is a really nice driving car I'll suffer Alistair Darling's taxes!!

Again, many thanks for your views.

Chris
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

whilst we are on this subject is it possible to down grade an HDi diesel engine so it will be happy on clean new veggie oil ie fit an older bosch pump and change the injectors?

just a thought for the future.

have just found this www.businesscar.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=2126

hope the link works but it says that citroen has ok'd a blend of Biodiesel ie B30 for use in all their HDi engines. if in doubt ring the main dealership they should know.

hope it helps.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:whilst we are on this subject is it possible to down grade an HDi diesel engine so it will be happy on clean new veggie oil ie fit an older bosch pump and change the injectors?

just a thought for the future.

have just found this www.businesscar.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=2126

hope the link works but it says that citroen has ok'd a blend of Biodiesel ie B30 for use in all their HDi engines. if in doubt ring the main dealership they should know.

hope it helps.

regards Nigel.
Hdi to Bosch is not on, the Hdi is a direct injection engine, engines that use the Bosch e.g XUD are indirect injection and use a completely different head design to achieve this.

cachaciero
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi against all advice my son tried to run his 406 hdi on veggie mix, on the second tankfull the lift pump gave up. Luckily it worked again after cleaning the system out. our MOT station reckon your lucky if the pump lifts diesel never mind vegetable oil. regards John
falling-out-with-my-car

So \citroen are giving out the wrong information Then?