Ongoing egr saga

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BryanB
My Cars:

Ongoing egr saga

Post by BryanB »

Clutch was changed, no problem for 100 miles. Engine management light came on- fault reader said egr- egr cleaned to no avail. New egr fitted still no good. On test drive today engine management light on when engine on overrun, goes out when under load. Could it be that crankshaft speed sensor (on transmission) was damaged when clutch was done? Any other ideas please? local garage is starting to talk four figures ££££ Help!
Willing to learn

2003 Berlingo multispace forte. 1.9d (The sluggish one)
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Don't really know anything about this engine but most EGR valves are vacuum operated, have you checked the control side of the EGR like vacuum any electrovalves etc.

The other thing to bear in mind when interpreting a diagnostic read out is that most times it does not do an end to end test. So when it says EGR it doesn't necessarily mean that there is a problem with the EGR valve what it is saying is that the ECU EGR output status is incorrect taking into account other engine parameters as read by various sensors.

cachaciero
BryanB
My Cars:

Post by BryanB »

Many thanks for the reply, that's the kind of thing I had in mind regarding the speed sensor. I really haven't had time to look at it yet (Bereavement) It's running well so it'll have to wait a few more days. Thanks again BB
Willing to learn

cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

I doubt that it is the speed sensor of the flywheel / torque converter as this provides both speed and crankshaft position for injection timing purposes, no pulse no -injection nogo :-)

As your engine is running and apparently reasonably well this is unlikely to be your problem.

cachaciero
BryanB
My Cars:

Post by BryanB »

Many thanks to all who read and thought about this problem. After a local garage with a good reputation had cleaned the egr, and then fitted a new one, all to no avail they had booked the car in for Ist Sept. I was prewarned that it could cost around £1000.
Today I finally had the time for a careful look, after taking off the top engine cover and blowing through the vacuum pipes I checked the electrical connections and found one on the egr solenoid loosely pushed in. I pushed it fully in and applied a cable tie to keep it in as it would not click home. A test drive - Perfect, no further problem.
I visited the garage and made it clear that I was not a happy bunny, luckily I haven't paid yet, so proposed that I pay for the new part fitted and they swallow the cost of their incompetent mechanic's time. Of course the chap who deals with this kind of thing is away today, so will await their invoice with interest.
Thanks again cachaciero you made me think of all the possibilities BB.
Willing to learn

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

An excellent result Bryan :D

I wish you all the luck in the world with getting some recompence with the garage :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
BryanB
My Cars:

Post by BryanB »

CitroJim wrote:An excellent result Bryan :D

I wish you all the luck in the world with getting some recompence with the garage :wink:
Thanks, but it's them who will need the luck getting their invoice paid. I'll let you know!
Willing to learn

BryanB
My Cars:

Egr - final installment

Post by BryanB »

Went to Garage this am to sort out a reduction on their bill. The workshop manager, looked at the facts and said "No charge, we failed to find a simple fault"
I said they have a good reputation, of course I shall continue to use them.BB
Willing to learn

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :D A perfect result Bryan. A garage like that are worth their weight in gold!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I totally agree Jim. Perhaps they deserve a place in the recommended garages section.
BryanB
My Cars:

Post by BryanB »

I'll enter it when I have their details to hand. BB
Willing to learn

cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Hi Bryan

Nice result, glad my input was of some help getting there.

Cachaciero