A/C condenser Grrr

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

A/C condenser Grrr

Post by xantia_v6 »

It looks like the A/C condensor on my Mk1 Xantia has spung a leak.

Yesterday, I noticed a new oil stain on the driveway where the front of the car sits, but the A/C was still working. Today, the compressor is running, but there are bubbles in the sight glass and no cooling.

There were droplets of yellow oil on the bottom of the front bumper, and on pulling it off, the bottom corner of the condenser below the connector flange wet with oil. I can't see the exact point where it is leaking, but it looks to be more likely the condenser itself than the connector.

I have a used condensor that looks OK that came off an earlier Xantia, is there any reason that wouldn't fit?

New condensers seem cheap enough (£59 delivered from ECP), I suppose they are chinese, but hey ho.

I will get my local KwikFit to degas the system, then I will will fit the condenser (and a fan motor) myself. Then get it regassed. I suppose the condensor coupling needs O-rings?
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

buy new, safest way to go (i mean all the leak down testing, regassing and taking the car apart again is going to cost £60?), and i doubt very much that its made in China, theres a lot more radiators and condensors and evaporators and heater matricies made in Europe than there are in China. (thats not to say it isnt chinese alloy!)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I agree Vanny, go new.

Having seen the state of the condenser in a car Xac and I have been dismantling today, there is no way I'd even consider a second-hand one, especially given the complex job it is to swap it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I had suspected that my condenser had been stressed when I changed a fan last year, but on inspection, it is clearly a victim of salted roads. The paint has peeled from the alloy manifold tube, and it is badly pitted, and has just gone porous.

Due to work and weather, it is not back together yet, but maybe today.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

vanny wrote: i doubt very much that its made in China, theres a lot more radiators and condensors and evaporators and heater matricies made in Europe
To finish the story, the new condenser is made in Argentina (didn't see that coming :o ).
System refilled and cooling much better than it has for the last 6 months, funny how you don't notice the performance slowly degrade. :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A bit like my V6 radiator, made in Spain :o

Pleased all is now good on the A/C front. I hope there will be plenty of warm days to enjoy it. For me, I desparately want to get a new heater matrix in my V6 as I feel a distinct need of heat!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...