caravaning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

david62

caravaning

Post by david62 »

picked up new caravan yestaday and my 1997 xantia 19td on the motorway was running a little bit hotter...is this normal? also speedo packed up and when i disconnected the electric lead it started working again...ne ideas please...thanx david
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi David,

I've towed a caravan extensively with a 1.9TD and it's normal for the temperature to ride a little higher when towing. Mine used to sit at 90 on the gauge and up a particularly steep hill, a little hotter. Under such circumstances I'd ease off going down the next hill to allow it to cool a bit. I found it was better generally to tow in 4th gear. The engine ran cooler and it was more into its power band. Also, keep the aircon off when towing.

The hot running never caused any difficulties or worries and the car did not use any water at all.

I would ensure your cooling system is in top condition and if you have any doubts about the condition of the rad, replace it. Also check your fans are working absolutely correctly. They should cut in at aroundabout 90 degrees on half speed and bring the temperature back down in a couple of minutes.

The Xantia is a wonderful towcar in my experience and the hydraulic suspension really comes into its own. What is the weight and size of caravan you're towing?

I've no idea why the speedo should stop working when the 12N lighting connector is plugged in but I would check all the 'van lighting is working properly!

Or does the speedo die when the grey 12S supplementary connector is plugged in?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
david62

Post by david62 »

thanx for reply...not sure of weight of van but only a 4berth.yes mine exactly same has in running temp.drove round trip of 440miles and didnt lose drop of water...caravan off and temp back to normal...found lead from van to car was scrapping on floor hoping that was cause of speedo not working....thanx again for info most helpfull...david