My car has been crashed into...I think it's the end of it

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

My car has been crashed into...I think it's the end of it

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Driving to work this morning and I had a LWB Merc Sprinter van hit the passenger side of my xsara. It took out both doors, but main area of impact was on the B pillar. So the sill has gone and the roof has slight ripple dents in it. I am surprised the side airbag didn't deploy to be honest.

I can't bear to think of it as being no more. I couldn't let it suffer the same fate as that poor poor volvo in the Xant V6 on ebay thread. I'd cry. It nearly made me cry listening to that poor volvo scream in pain before it died.
It's weird how you build attachments to 'metallic objects'

If it gets written off, i'll have to buy it back and at least use her for parts. She has brand new tyres on, decent dunlops, and I lavish attention on her.

I can't bear the thought of it being the end of it, and suffering that sort of fate. The engine is so sweet.It's only done 104k and runs so well.

I may look to get another xsara, so I could keep this one and at least use it for bits so it'll live on in that way.

It may be the time for me to get a Xant though?

I am so mad....and all this a week into me giving up smoking! arrrrggghh

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Commiserations Rob. An awful thing but at least you survived even if the car didn't.

I'm presuming it was the van driver at fault, in which case hold out for the very maximum they will part with. Also, the car is yours, you don't have to buy it back from anyone - that only applies if it were your fault and you were claiming on your own insurance rather than the other driver's.

Same thing happened to my Accord and I got £30 less than I had paid for it two years previously. Drove it for another year with the boot smashed in the px'ed it for the C5.
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Yeah it's not deemed to be me at fault as far as the insurance is concerned.
The main thing is nobody was hurt seriously. My back and neck are rather stiff, but that will get better.

I am not sure I could drive it, because the passenger door will not open from the outside, the passenger window won't open and driving it back today the steering wheel was off centre, and It wasn't before as I only just had it tracked. It felt like it was crabbing slightly!?! I didn't hit any kerb ether.

Not sure. Oh well it's only a car at the end of the day, but after investing blood sweat and tears getting it sorted, it's annoying to think it's now not sensibly drivable and likely to be scrapped.

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Commiserations Rob, I know what it's like to see hours and hours of your
hard graft p!ssed away in a moment by some Muppet not concentrating and
driving properly. :(

I hate to say this, that car doesn't sound like a goer now especially if it's
out of true and crabbing although the substantial bend in the pillar cill and
roof will see the car off the road.

The only upside is the opportunity to re asses your car needs and spruce things
up with a new model! You know you really need a Xantia V6 24v instead of
a HDI 90!? Don't you? :twisted:

Andrew
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Nuneatonrob wrote:Yeah it's not deemed to be me at fault as far as the insurance is concerned.
The main thing is nobody was hurt seriously. My back and neck are rather stiff, but that will get better.

I am not sure I could drive it, because the passenger door will not open from the outside, the passenger window won't open and driving it back today the steering wheel was off centre, and It wasn't before as I only just had it tracked. It felt like it was crabbing slightly!?! I didn't hit any kerb ether.

Not sure. Oh well it's only a car at the end of the day, but after investing blood sweat and tears getting it sorted, it's annoying to think it's now not sensibly drivable and likely to be scrapped.

Rob
Cynically, you may profit from the minor injuries - a friend of mine did in a big way, without having to lift a finger.
Don't be too certain that your back will get better and don't be hurried into accepting a pittance. Get a proper independent medical assesment.

I wasn't suggesting that you continue to use the car which could be dangerous. Only pointing out that in my case the damage was only the boot and bumper. The loss adjuster made out that the damage was far more severe than it actually was and pushed the settlement into the "uneconomical to repair" category.
As yours appears to be there without any help you should get a decent payment and be able to keep the car for parts if that is what you want to do with it.
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Hi i'm with the others.I would get a proper medical check up on you're spine for sure and don't leave it. as 1 you get scar tissue build up which in turn effects nerves etc. 2 things like whip lash and like injuries will for cert end up with arthritis etc becoming a problem if not soon will later in life.
has as happened to me from sport injuries/cycling crashes etc. yes sports great for you? unless you crash!.

Plus glad you're safe. and what you could do is look for an xsara that needs an engine etc and you're on the road.
xantia 19td estate 96-7
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

thanks for the kind words folks.

myglaren, I know you or anyone would never suggest driving a vehicle which would be unsafe on public roads. Don't worry there!
:wink:

I must admit I am tempted by a Xantia. Maybe not a V6, as i don't think my daily fuel budget would stretch!

There are a few nice Xants on Autotrader at the mo....I even found myself looking at a couple of xm's....!

I think I will get the old girl back of the insurance and try and make some use of it, if only to help others with some bits. A set of 4 brand new dunlop fast response tyres to name just one thing.

If anyone knows of any good Xants or Xsara's for sale please let me know. Pref diesel...HDI but would be happy with a trusty XUD! Be willing to travel if it's a good one.

Thanks again for kind words and thoughts!

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
blueboy

Post by blueboy »

Comiserations Rob. The vehicle can be replaced. You can't. I got £1000 for whiplash and a few years ago after an artic hit the back of my Tranny, early one morning on the M1, my wife got £2000 because she was too frightened to go on a motorway and she had no physical injuries. Have you got legal cover on your insurance. If so let them fight it out for you.
Good luck
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Unless UK laws are very different, DO NOT let the Xsara out of your sight or leave it with anyone for an assessment. Any inspections should be carried out on your terms, with you standing beside the vehicle. Apologise for being so crabby as your back and neck are unbearably painful after the accident (this is part of building your case).

It's your property, it remains your property unless you choose to sell it (read carefully the fine print of any insurer's offer). Make sure the at-fault's insurer doesn't try to cash in the balance of any taxes or registration you have paid.

Cheers, Adam.
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

hi give BREN a shout as he has a very nice zanty estate 19td 6 months tax and 12months mot. low mileage very good condition.
xantia 19td estate 96-7
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

addo wrote:Unless UK laws are very different, DO NOT let the Xsara out of your sight or leave it with anyone for an assessment. Any inspections should be carried out on your terms, with you standing beside the vehicle. Apologise for being so crabby as your back and neck are unbearably painful after the accident (this is part of building your case).

It's your property, it remains your property unless you choose to sell it (read carefully the fine print of any insurer's offer). Make sure the at-fault's insurer doesn't try to cash in the balance of any taxes or registration you have paid.

Cheers, Adam.
Advice well worth following. In my case an independent claims adjuster made an appointment to come to my home and inspect the car then submitted his report to the insurance company who phoned with their offer and the cheque arrived the following day. It all went as smooth as silk and when I asked when they would recover the car they said they would not as it was still my car to deal with as I wished.

Not the slightest hassle, unlike the Xantia that is still ongoing six years later :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

So sorry to hear of your misfortune Rob :cry: I'd be absolutely beside myself too if it happened in similar circumstances to any of my vehicles.

Pleased to see such good and wise advice coming your way from on here.

I may consider selling my 2.1TD Estate as it spends a lot of time idle now and thuthfully I don't really have need of three cars! I'll only be let go to a very good home as it really is a good 'un. I know your home would be perfect for it.

Give me a call if of any interest.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Rob,

May I add my commisserations as well. Want to emphasise the many other comments about looking after your body (neck & back in this case) - you've only got one body, for life. The suggestion to seek expert medical advice is good, not just for any recompense, but also to check there's no damage which isn't immediately obvious. Sometimes these things come home to roost later in life.

Cheers - Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )