ZX handbrake cable length

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Keith J

ZX handbrake cable length

Post by Keith J »

The handbrake cabes seem to be different lengths at the adjuster end. Are they differing lengths on each side anyway. The N/S is tight and shortish, but the other is so long that the adjuster yoke was at an angle before I took it off the thredad bar.

Is ther a way to adjust them so they are both the same length or is it (as I suspect) that a wrong cable has been put on. The ong one is about 15mm longer at the rear of the handbrake.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Hi Keith,

I cant remember and am not at work nopw for a few days to check for you but it is not uncommon to see the drivers side cable hanging down...the same was common to see on 205's aswell.

Either the cables are longer on one side (quite possible) or there are different cable lengths for stuff like rear discs or drums etc.

Give Steve a bell at my shop on 0151 525 1764 he is ex Citroen :wink:

He can check it for you off your reg.

Vince
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im not sure on the lengths but dont they have coloured sleeves on to inicate which side is which (O/S or N/S,

there are 4 diferent cables listed in GSF's catalouge

hatch
drum N73132/4=LH/RH
DISC N73136/8=LH/RH

ESTATE
>97 N73140=LH/RH
97> N73142=LH/RH

regards malcolm
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Keith

This rings a bell. I remember, some time ago, thinking that one of my replacement handbrake cables looked too long. It seemed to be correct as per the GSF parts catalogue, however. I don't remember the equaliser being at an angle though.

One of the cables had a blue sleeve on it, the other one had a black sleeve.

Check the condition of the outer sleeves on the cables. On my car the outer sleeves had broken in several places. Also the outer sleeves had squashed up in places so that the outer sleeve was shorter than it should be, with the diameter increasing in places.

If you've got drums then check the shoe mechanisms to make sure they're not siezed. Sometimes the handbrake levers on the shoes (and the shoes themselves) don't retract fully which makes the inner cable appear to be longer than it is.

Paul