How to tell whether my ZX drum brakes are Bendix or Girling.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Keith J

How to tell whether my ZX drum brakes are Bendix or Girling.

Post by Keith J »

1996 N reg ZX elation diesel 1,9 estate. How do I tell which system I have. There are no markings on the slave cylinders apart from numbers.

Need help desperately please as MOT on Weds and shoes have to be ordered in by my local factor for tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

Keith
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I looked on the Citroen service site and as far as I can see the estates all used Bendix systems.

To be 100% sure I would need the VIN number of the car ...you can PM me it if you want me to check.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

There is a way by looking at them.

Assuming they're of the same style as on a Pug 205, the Bendix ones have automatic adjusters that work by uncrewing a threaded rod inside a second rod to extend it, much like a bottle screw. This expands the two shoes by sitting between the shoes.

Girling self adjusters have a ratchet rack about and inch and a half long on which works a pawl. To take all the adjustment, the pawl can be lifted off the rack with a screwdriver. On the Bendix the adjustment has to be taken off by screwing the adjusting rod back in to the bigger rod.

A poor decription I admit but I hope that helps...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Thank you Uncle Buck. I am taking the old brake shoes to another motor factor who has all types in stock with a hope of matching them. If that fails, be assured I will send you the VIN no.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Yeah as Jim says you can see the difference between the two systems...

Bendix System.

Girling System.

Cheers.
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Was going to say..Generally if the mating face of the cylinder is round its Bendix, if its oval then its Girling.

Ive even found french vehicles with Girling brake system on one side and Bendix on the other from the factory :lol: Friday cars we call them....last car on the line, whatever parts are left in the box...everyone wants to go home..."just put them on it" :P
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Thanks for your replies. It was a Bendix system.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Glad you got it sorted.

Cheers.
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as itsd a BENDIX system
make sure you keep the adjuster at seperate as one side has left and the other has right hand thread,

if you fit them on the wrong sides of the car the adjusters will un/adjust as they work, so you hand brake will keep getting slaker and slaker,

also keep a very colse eye on the tinny stainless steel pawl (ratchet lock) as 99% of cars i have worked on be it PUG or CITROEN have had the pawl's completly missing,

and the only fix is to buy the ratchet adjuster kit complete only from the dealer, at an extautionate price of around 50 to 60 quid, just to replace two tinny stainless steel pawl's

regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Vince wrote
"Ive even found french vehicles with Girling brake system on one side and Bendix on the other from the factory "

thats the R word that do that aint it

regards malcolm
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Yes your right Malcolm, they are guilt of many sins when it comes to parts.... :P
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...