Xantia buying advice, how to test suspension etc....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uncle buck
My Cars:

Xantia buying advice, how to test suspension etc....

Post by uncle buck »

Hi,
I seem to remember a thread that gave tips on what to look out for when checking a Xantia, I think it covered most things like how to check the suspension, what to look out for, etc...I have tried searching but I can't seem to find the thread....Anyone know where it is? or have I imagined it?

Is there anyway we could have something like this posted up as a sticky as I think it would be very handy.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I also remember reading such an article. It was very detailed and had a long checklist. I am happy that I have read it after I bought my Xantia :)

:idea: I made a google search and voilà there it is, the first link which is from UK citroencarclub

Try these words, copy/paste to google:
- buying a Xantia
- What to look for when buying a Xantia
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Hi,
Yeah I also found that via Google, however I'm sure there was a thread on this forum that detailed the things to look for etc...

Cheers.
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

There was this thread recently "buying an Xantia Diesel" started on Wed Jul 22, 2009. Lots of good tips. Especially at the end of the thread a nice summary posted by "falling-out-with-my-car". You can also check HonestJohn website Xantia review. (click on top "Car-by-car" --> select "Citroen" and "Xantia")
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Try this is brilliant, I always use this site when buying second hand motors and he actually seems to like Citroens to.

you can enter almost any make and model of car for a fairly decent run down of what to look out for.

www.honestjohn.co.uk

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Thanks for the pointers...the Honest John site is good, with lots of info.

Cheers.
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

buck,

i think that the only thing Honest John misses is the wear on the rear radius arms and corrosion behind the rear brake discs causing the rear brakes to bind because the brake calipers are out of line with the brake discs.

standing well back from the rear of the Xantia check to see if the rear wheels are upright and have no inward camber with the top of the wheels leanning toward the inner wheelarches.

although a repairable job it can cost a couple of hundred a side to have the bearings replaced in a garage.

As for the rear disks they develop oxidisation behind them because they are steel and their mountings are alluminium the corrosion pushes the brake disc out of line and can cause the rear brakes to bind, my xantia was so severe when I bought it that it put the front of one rear wheel slightly toe in. usually more apparent on cars that have been standing for a long time unused.

again simple enough to fix by removing the corrosion.

buy one you won't regret it and you wont want to let it go once youve got it.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Thanks for that....I have read of the rear disc problem on here before.

I know about the radius arms bearings as when I had a Pug 309 a few Moons back that had the problem....rather than messing on I found a good Axel at the scrappy & fitted that.

Just toying with the idea of a Xantia at the moment...I have never owned a hydraulic suspension car before but just have a fancy for one. I have read that the 2.1 TD diesel is a great engine & it seems well liked on this forum. The only thing that I'm a bit apprehensive of with the 2.1 is the fuel pump....it seems to be the weak point of the engine.

Also most of the hydraulic suspension Citroen's I have seen in the past had some form of oil leak from the suspension, some worse than the others, is it possible to have a leak free system or do you just have to live with the odd drip here & there?

Cheers.
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

mine don't leak
for me hydraulic suspension is much simpler to maintain than conventional springs and I'd say cheaper and easier to repair/replace.
safer too!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My first hydraulic Citroen was a GS1220 and it didn't leak in all the time I had it.
Then a BX 19RD that didn't leak.
Then a Xantia 1.9TD - no leaks on that one either.
Currently a leakless C5.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

unclebuck,
I wish I was also able to say "mine don't leak". Unfortunately it had a leak and it was from steering rack valve because of a worn out seal :( Seal replacement pack solved the problem. So that was the only one in 11 years and 186000 miles :)
wonderful car with a great ride 8)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Given the pressure the hydraulic system operates at and the very low viscosity of LHM, small weeps are inevitable but as everyone else has said, the systems can be kept totally leak-free over long periods. leaks are normally pretty easy to rectify, usually be replacing O rings. It is not a reason to not enjoy a hydraulic Citroen :D

The 2.1TD is a great engine but yes, admittedly, the pump can be the cause of a big headache if it decides to play up; mainly because they are almost unique to the 2.1TD. The only other application I know of was on a Transit Van :roll: That said, if you feed them clean diesel and look after their filters and pipes, they go on pretty reliably. The advantages of having a EPIC injected 2.1TD outweigh the disadvantages in my opinion and if the worst happens, a Bosch or Lucas mechanical pump can be fitted.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Thanks for the replies.

So it is obviously possible to have a leak free suspension...maybe the cars I saw hadn't been that well maintained.

I read the thread about fitting a Bosch 1.9 pump to a 2.1...it was quite interesting.

Cheers.
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
falling-out-with-my-car

ive been pretty lucky in the five years ive had my xantia no lhm leaks.

I did have an engine oil leak from the vacum pump recently but well advised by forum members it was a very easy job to replace the two rubber seals which cost a, mere 75 pence from a citroen main dealers.

nigel.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Its common place for springs to snap on modern cars now, puncturing the tyre and often leaving the cars underside touching the road. I can imagine thats more than scary at motorway speeds!

Something you wont get with a hydraulic Citroen, although you might see the strut top pop through the bonnet if your very unlucky :lol:

My C5 had a leak recently, all was needed was a new seal in the rear cylinder. My local Citroen indy garage says they usually just replace the full cylinder though.

The only other two leaks we have ever had on any of our Citroens, current and past is a pipe burst on the Cx and one of the Activas rams started to leak - the biggest car related mistake was trading that in for a late model Xm. Really wish we still had the Activa :(

Anyway, yes they are pretty simple, although it would seem the price of genuine Citroen spheres for Xantias is increasing by quite a bit.

If looked after its a cheap system to maintain, but when things go wrong and get leaky or rusted is when id rather have a conventionally sprung car. One local Xm owner i know of spent over £1000 recently at a local Citroen indy having a lot of its pipes replaced :o

Just copmpare the price of a front Xm strut to a price of a front spring and damper :o

Still, thats not the point is it :D

Good luck with the Xantia searching :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10