Simple sphere removal tool (chain version)

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

VertVega
My Cars:

Simple sphere removal tool (chain version)

Post by VertVega »

Here is a home made sphere removal tool which is easy to make and simple to carry in a toolbox.

Thing's you'll need:
- Bicycle chain (fit around sphere)
- Bicycle tyre inner tube (to wrap around sphere)
- Electric drill and drills for metal
- Grinder (like Dremmel tool)
- 1/2" socket wrench
- 1/2" socket (size like 24,25,..30 mm)

* Drill 2 holes on the opposite sides of a socket
* Using a grinder smoothen the holes and make them wide enough for the chain to move easily
* Measure the length of chain that would wrap a sphere and go through the socket
* Chain can be locked from both ends with a metal pin
* Cut inner tube length that would go around a sphere (better grip and sphere paint protection)

Parts

Full grip

Sphere removed

Here are some dimensions (inch and cm scale). A torque wrench can also be used if the sphere is very tight.

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
HollisterCutie

Post by HollisterCutie »

thanks for the tip!
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

There has been a discussion about a difficult rear sphere in the forum recently.
addo wrote:
Peter.N. wrote:Yes, the rear ones are usually much more difficult, they dont live in a nice warm dry environment like the front ones and they corrode.
That's funny. Here the fronts are usually tighter than the rears; certainly no corrosion to speak of!
The tool described above worked fine with the front spheres. I decided to test it with the rear spheres.
I snapped the chain with the socket wrench after couple of trials :( (i.e. in the Northern Hemisphere front spheres are easier than the rear :wink: )
Front spheres were so clean, no rust (as seen above) but the rear were just the opposite.

So I decided to make the version MK2 or series 2 of this tool and it worked fine :D Here are some pictures.

making new tool. (snapped chain, socket hole widened and new chain with lock)

compare old and new chain

voilà, series 2 is ready
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual