ZX 1.9D Camshaft Bearing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

teabag
My Cars:

ZX 1.9D Camshaft Bearing

Post by teabag »

Help: Had a loud tappety rattle on my ZX @ about 100K miles. Carried on driving it, thinking, I would need to reshim the tappets. The rocker cover has not been off since 48K miles. To my horror, the no 2 bearing cap was in 3 pieces. Anyone heard of this before.
I've been told, they bearing needs to be line bored with the head. Can I just buy another bearing cap and hope?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Only time Iv'e heard of this is when the belt snaps and the camshaft breaks taking the cap(s) out with it.
They are machined in place on the head as you have been told, you may be lucky and get one that will match near enough, but they dont need to be far out before the camshaft is nipped tight and wont turn.
You might get a selection from several scrap heads and cross your fingers that one will be ok.
A bloke on another list with the neccessary skill and machinery was able to fit one by machining it where required, so it appears it can be done.
I would definately want to know why it has bust in the first place.
Dave
teabag
My Cars:

Post by teabag »

Thanks for the reply. The Cambelt has never snapped and was replaced at 90K.
Scap yards will not sell me a bearing cap as it means the head it comes off is scrap. I've managed to buy a new cap from an engine reconditioners for 20 quid.
I think I'm lucky as the car started and seems to run and is quiet. If anything the bearing is probably slightly loose. Fingers crossed that it all hangs together!
Teabag
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If your 'new' bearing cap is loose you may be able to improve the fit by filing the bases slightly. While this will not produce a perfect fit it will be better than what you have at the moment and may provide some support for the camshaft that would be otherwise lacking.
Jeremy