Citroen xantia 1.9 TD Auxiliary Drive belt tensioner pulley

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vsstephen

Citroen xantia 1.9 TD Auxiliary Drive belt tensioner pulley

Post by vsstephen »

hi there, pls provide soem info over this following issue. thanks in advance. Citroen xantia 1.9 TD Auxiliary Drive belt tensioner pulley, creating a noise like a hell. do i need to change the bracket with pulley or just replace the pulley. the parts seems very expansive. please advice on this. where to get cheaper?. and do i need to change the bracket with pulley. tqImage
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Item 5 or item 3? 5 is not too bad here in the UK, and comes complete with the bracket, changing is easy. Item 3 is a lot more expensive, and a lot more difficult to change! Whereabouts in the world are you?
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Stephen,

This is a very common problem on the 1.9TD and is caused by the bearings failing on the tensioner pivot shaft.

They're not too bad to replace and a guide can be found here.

They are quite expensive. I assume you are not in the UK but even so it will be worth contacting GSF Car Parts as they do an export service for spare parts.

It is important to resolve this problem as if the tensioner fails totally, the auxillary belt can come off and become entangled in the cambelt. Not good.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
vsstephen

Post by vsstephen »

yes it is part number 5 according to the diagram. Is there is any way just buy the pulley without bracket and fixed it?. bearing made too much of noise.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

No, I doubt you can fix the bearing. The part is not that dear from GSF (www.gsfcarparts.com) - about 25 GBP if I remember correctly. They do an export service - this shouldn't cost too much as it's not that heavy.
Richard W