gearknob removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mred

gearknob removal

Post by mred »

ive been trying to remove the gearknob to change it but it wont undo just turns n turns any suggestions
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

They're not actually on a thread.

If you look at the gearstick itself, the top inch or so has serrations and up inside the gearknob are barbs that hook into these serrations and hold it tightly in place. Much like the plastic "poppers" that hold trim and plastic mudshields in place.

If you do need to remove the knob, a smart pull upwards will often do the trick but this often breaks the barbs and it's unlikly to sit tight on the shaft again and might even pull off when driving.

Normally it does not need to be removed, even for jobs like lifting out the centre console.

It was very much desighed to be fitted and forgotten.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mred

Post by mred »

thanks im changing it :)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

mred wrote:thanks im changing it :)
Good luck with that. As Jim says, they're not designed to be replaced.
You'll need a new ball with a long shaft to go over the actual stick just like the original.
Most replacement balls I know screw off which are incompatible.

I looked into changing Cassy's but gave up in the end.
Someone's tried it on Jenny, and now the gear stick comes off in your hand when you select 4th if you're not careful.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
petercook44
My Cars:

Post by petercook44 »

Have removed gear knob in my xantia and replaced with different one.Trick is to apply upward pressure whilst turning gear knob. :D