Xantia lights electrical problem?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Xantia lights electrical problem?

Post by PicassoPigeon »

I have problems with my front drivers side light, rear passenger stop/tail,rear passenger reg plate and rear drivers driving light on boot lid.
All the bulbs have been checked so all bulbs are working. Not really had any electrical problems before now, what's the next step?

Thank you.
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I had the same problem but with the opposite side setup a year or 2 ago (IIRC)
All of the items in question use the same fuse so first stop is to check that one.
If the fuse is blown, replace it with the correct value one and if it blows again, somewhere along the line its grounding. I found on mine that the wire had been caught in one of the fuse box fixing bolts.
It is possible to narrow down which section of wire is the problem by disconnecting bulbs and testing parts of the circuit to see if they are grounding.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Gav,

Yep, absolutely Kev, there is a common supply from the light switch that splits two ways via two fuses:

F4: Front LH side lamp, Rear RH tail light and lights-on warning buzzer

F9: Front RH side lamp, Rear LH sidelamp.

One feeds one numberplate lamp and the other feeds the other one.

I'd suspect a duff bulb took out a fuse or as Kev says, the circuit is grounding somewhere due to chafed wires; most likely where they pass through the body into the rearlamp clusters or up in the rubber concertinas where the wires pass into the tailgate.

Do you have towbar electrics? Always a good place to begin your look for this sort of fault.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

No tow bar on my car so will check fuses tomorrow.thank you you very help full people.

Good to see another member from Devon, red_dwarfers. Even if it is Exeter lol. :D
125,000 miles
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gav,

If you need them, I'll post up the full wiring diagrams for the lighting. Just let me know...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

all is now fine, it was just the fuse. it has not blown so far but will keep it in check just in case.
Once again thank you for your help the both of you. Help and advise on here is worth so much more than the £1 a month that donate to the forum fund.Best £1 ever
gav
125,000 miles
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

No worries Gav :D

Didn't notice you were also from Devon, Proper jaab! :lol:
Last time I went to Plymouth was to see Status Quo at the Pavillions last year :shock:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair