swapping centre sphere

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citrov6
My Cars:

swapping centre sphere

Post by citrov6 »

I was thinking about this after I read about the possibility of changing spheres between cars, can the centre sphere on a hydractive be swapped for a big corner sphere of one of the bigger citroens. CX estate/safari rear spheres are 40% bigger than the front centre on a xant, and must be near the equivelant of putting BX spheres on the front.

also they don't put damping coefficients on hydractive centres. Does that mean they are constructed differently, I sense I am in over my head but thats why I'm here lol
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

It has been better described by others in the past, but briefly, the damping elements for the centre spehere are built into the elecrovalve block (because there is a separate damper for each side, but a common sphere).

So you can't use any corner sphere as a hydroactive sphere (as corner speres all have damper elements which would be too restrictive).

You could use an accumulator sphere as a hydroactive sphere, but the only 2 variables you now have are the phere volume and pressure, which can only vary the "spring rate" of the suspension, not the damping. I suspect (from owning a few HA Xantia) that you probably wont see any great benefit from reducing the spring rate (making the springing softer).

I have not heard of anyone actually modifying the HA dampers valves, but I think it would be hard to get better than factory ride without a lot of trial and error.

If you think that your HA suspension is too hard, (but know that the electics and hydraulics are good), then it could the that the problem is friction, which tends to magnify minor irregularities in the road.

Likely sources of friction are worn struts (front), swing arm bearings (rear) un-lubricated height corrector mechanisms (front and rear).
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

xantia_v6 wrote:It has been better described by others in the past, but briefly, the damping elements for the centre spehere are built into the elecrovalve block (because there is a separate damper for each side, but a common sphere).
ah i see. that would be quite an extensive task modifying the block i understand the attraction of bx spheres now.
xantia_v6 wrote: So you can't use any corner sphere as a hydroactive sphere (as corner speres all have damper elements which would be too restrictive).
makes sense
xantia_v6 wrote: You could use an accumulator sphere as a hydroactive sphere, but the only 2 variables you now have are the phere volume and pressure, which can only vary the "spring rate" of the suspension, not the damping. I suspect (from owning a few HA Xantia) that you probably wont see any great benefit from reducing the spring rate (making the springing softer).
no i find the suspension response fine, just had the idea in my head after a bit that the softmode damping could be increased for that motorway slushy ride the old bx's have, but have the benefit of the low roll provided by the standard spheres. but i see how extensive this would be. i don't have a problem with the ride on mine its quite comfortable, slightly more so than a conventional car, but less so than the big cit's. the firming up of the suspension is something i have come to appreciate much more since going on track days.
xantia_v6 wrote: I have not heard of anyone actually modifying the HA dampers valves, but I think it would be hard to get better than factory ride without a lot of trial and error.
your right not much point unless there is a lot of time and tools available
xantia_v6 wrote: If you think that your HA suspension is too hard, (but know that the electics and hydraulics are good), then it could the that the problem is friction, which tends to magnify minor irregularities in the road.

Likely sources of friction are worn struts (front), swing arm bearings (rear) un-lubricated height corrector mechanisms (front and rear).
no its ok so far fingers crossed, but i'll keep a watch out for that if i get some harshness in the ride. its more just wandering curiosity we get when we read and learn more about how complex the systems actually are that got me posting this.

thanks for the explaination that was quite clear, contrary to what you said at the start :)
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!