Bleed nipple problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davetherave
My Cars:

Bleed nipple problems

Post by davetherave »

I have just removed the hydraflush that i put in and replaced with LHM, but cant get the bleed nipple undone at the rear brakes, it just shears, anyone come across this or got any ideas?
Cheers
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

If you've sheared the nipple off then your options are limited. You may have to take the caliper (or cylinder - what car are we talking about?) and send it a machine shop for drilling out and thread chasing. This might cost more than a replacement one so get prices first - especially for a s/h item if you don't mind using one.

You may be able to get the remains out by hammering an Allen key into the central hole of the nipple. Don't try unscrewing immediately but try giving it a little tweak to tighten it up before unscrewing. The idea of this is to break any rust seal round off the internal hole in the "closing" direction so that you can apply full force in the unscrewing direction.

There are commercial broken bolt/stud extractors available that work on this principle.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Any chance you could MIG on a bolt, this could work well because the heat could help break the corrosion 'seal' but to be safe I would want the caliper on the bench and drained as well as possible. The rear calipers tend to 'weld' themselves to the rear arms too due to corrosion.

Let us know how you get on.

Steve.
not applicable
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This used to be a big problem on 205GTi alloy front calipers and not helped by that horrible brake fluid stuff they use.

I used to drill the remains of the old nipple out and tap it the next size up. M6 to M8. This often upset the seating of the nipple and off-times the seal would be poor.

In that case, I'd turn up a brass adaptor to take the original size nipple.

Like this:

I apologise for the picture quality.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

When you say it just shears, do you mean the exposed part of the nipple has sheared off, or is the nipple turning in the caliper, suggested it's stripped the thread in the caliper? If the latter, then as Jim says, you could have it drilled out and tapped to a larger diameter, or (my preference) find another caliper.

When I decide to flush/change the LHM on my car, maybe I should check all the nipples function correctly, before anything else.

Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I usually finish any work off on the hydraulics with a smear of grease/coppaslip around the threads to try and stop moisture ingess.

Nice work that Jim.

Steve.
not applicable
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I also do the same as Steve, applying copaslip around the nipple's thread where it disappears into the caliper

Good luck - Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Thanks! all good sugestions!
It is just the nut that has sheared not the thread.
Im off to spain tomorrow :D (in the xantia!) so xill have another crack when i get back to blighty! Perhaps ill try molegrips and a bit of a wd40 soaking and hope i can get them off and replace with new/ second hand ones!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

A good tip when tackling bleed nipples is to use a close fitting ring spanner....holding a steady amount of pressure on the spanner to undo the nipple start tapping the end of the nipple with a small hammer keep tapping it as you hold the pressure on the spanner....most of the time this will crack the nipple free.
Make sure you tap the nipple square on or you may snap it off!

A dose of Plus gas penetrating fluid before you try this will help.

As recomended by others if you apply copper slip to the threads of the nipple it should loosen easy in the future.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Personally I use Wynn's PTFE-based 'white grease' rather than copperslip on brake nipples. My thinking is that as the callipers don't get very hot and white grease is intended to lubricate and protect exposed mechanisms it ought to be better than copper-slip which is intended for high-temp use.

I also use white grease liberally on the mechanical bits of the height control system.

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)