binding brakes (cure and Conclusion)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

casperdog2
My Cars:

binding brakes (cure and Conclusion)

Post by casperdog2 »

I asked for help off the forum about the binding brakes on my xantia est sx. I did everything that you could think of and I kept hitting a brick wall.
I bled the brakes changed the calipers, and after reading info off the forum from the year 2002. I changed the shpere on the accumulater. Thats it I thought two hundred yards and they were binding again. When I got the car home I just happend to look at the brake pedal and I lifted it up and the brakes came straight off, the return spring was u/s and the pedal was just touching the brake button and the weight of the dammed pedal was enough the put the brakes on that tiny, tiny bit, so as the brakes heated up the binding got worse, So a 30 pence spring was all it needed, I could have set it on fire after all the work and time I put into it.
So if anyboby else has binding brakes,
First check that the pedal is not touching the brake button.
check that the accumulater shpere is giving the right pressure. fast ticking change it its u/s, clean and service the brakes, :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
when in doubt get a bigger hammer
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Well done for spotting that one, I can understand your thoughts of setting fire to the car, been there once or twice :lol: :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont understand why the pedel touching the button should cause this, as even if the spring was/is good the plastic capsual is always laying/restting on the dozer valve button, as thats its natural state,

maybe for some reason the pedel pivot was partly seized/sticking
and liftting it up just freed it off

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Delighted it is resolved and that the car did not end up in a fireball :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

Just been serching through for info on my binding breakes,
Gues what my peddle has no spring either, so thats the first thing to do before messing with the calipers.

Search and you will find !!!
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi All

On XM's the doseur piviot has a habit of seizing up and causing rubbing front brakes.

John
Xmexclusive
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Is there any particular knack to freeing off the doseur valve on the XM's?

Need to do my 24v I think.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

John wrote
"the doseur piviot"

do you mean the brake pedel pivot as the doseur valve dose not have a pivot, as it opperates with a plundger beeing pressed by the pedel,

and the doseur valves on most hydraulic citroens are near enough identical

Mark wrote
"my binding breakes,
Gues what my peddle has no spring either, so thats the first thing to do before messing with the calipers. "

i dont belive there is any way in which the spring in the plastic plundger under the brake pedel can cause binding brakes,

because if the spring was missing and it had not been replaced by the famous piece of metal tube, the plundger would not even make contact with the doseur valve,

regards malcolm

regards malcolm
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi David & Malcolm

The XM Doseur is mounted in the front scuttle towards the centre of the car to one side of the drive rod from the brake peddle. There is link mechanism with a pivot bolt to change the vertical rod motion into a horizontal force to operate the Doseur valve. The XM scuttle fills with all sorts of crap and is usually pretty wet as well so the link mechanism is often found to be partially seized. I seem to recall Noz reporting this problem and fix for binding brakes fairly early on in the original club-xm forum.
Sorry just not got the experience to know is this is relevant to any other PSA cars.

John
Xmexclusive
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

What I ment was the pedle it's self just flops up and down, surly it should have a sping to hold it up and away from the valve until you press it down.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The brake pedals on mine are feather light so I can't see how they'd activate the doseur just by their weight, and Jenny had the pipe mod when I first got her.

Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the valve?
Is it kept closed by hydraulic pressure or is it spring loaded?
Just thinking whatever keeps the valve closed, could that possibly weaken enabling the valve to be operated slightly by the pedal?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ok John i had not had any experiance of the XM's set up, but the AX has linkage to link the servo which is the oposite side of the bulk head to the pedel box, this to dose become seized and can also hold the brakes fully on locking them up,

but there is no way i can see the pedel weight can cause the brake to be on slightly on a XANT, as the the plundger on the rear of the pedel sits on the rubber cap the cab side of the doseur valve all the time

regards malcolm
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

There is no spring on the xantia to hold the pedal away from the doseur valve, but I think that there must be a spring inside the valve that provides some pretension (or is it achieved by hydraulic pressure?)

This diagram (courtesy Clogzz) is a bit small, but are any of the components a spring?

I think that the original poster has a faulty doseur.
Last edited by xantia_v6 on 29 Sep 2009, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Click the diagram to expand it.