Flywheel problem-56 plate 307sw 1.6hdi

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

matchplayers

Flywheel problem-56 plate 307sw 1.6hdi

Post by matchplayers »

I am a taxi driver and i have been hearing from other drivers that there is a problem about the 60k mark for clutch/flywheel on these diesel engines.? had i known 1 day earlier i could have saved a fortune by getting the work under warranty. here is my story, if anyone can point me in the direction of additional information regarding this problem. I will try to use the sale of goods act to get recompense. I also have to apply in writing to customer care peugeot in the hope of reclaiming some of the charges.
I would like help in showing that it is a "Well Known Problem" where can i find the relevent info? I just had mine in for a service at 59,995 miles. Got a new headlight (condensation) under warranty, they also stated that the clutch was rough and may need replacing. they quoted £660+vat. I got it done across the road for £380 & got a taxi free (normally £30 per day) to carry on working. However it turned out flywheel gone too, the final bill was £1100. That night whilst working i spoke to another taxi driver who had just had his clutch/flywheel replaced under warranty, 49k He only paid 2.2 hours labour +clutch. I was being quoted 7.9 hours labour! Had i left it with peugeot, i would have got flywheel under warranty too. I now need to reclaim charges retrospectively. I would like info as to how long a flywheel should last approx! and how long these in the 307sw are lasting! Any help much appreciated. Had i been informed that in 90% of cases flywheel would need replacing when doing the clutch i would have left the job with peugeot rather than looking for the cheaper option, Also when i had put car in for the service i had enquired about extending my warranty, they seemed reluctant/unwilling tp provide any information. instead said i could get that anywhere, i should contact someone like ????. had thay offered me a product there and then i would have willingly signed it.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Hi,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune :(

I believe your car will be fitted with what is called a "Dual Mass Flywheel" (DMF)
The car still has a clutch plate but the flywheel works differently to a flywheel on a standard clutch set up.
These DMF have given problems on lots of makes of cars.

From what I have heard the flywheel is always changed when a clutch needs replacing with a DMF as it's nearly always the flywheel that causes the problem & not the clutch plate.

Search google for Peugeot Dual Mass Flywheel & you will find lots of info & stories of problems.

HTH.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome
just try asking you dealer or there parts depot manager how often and what sort of year and mileage they have been doing this joob under waranty,

i find my local pud parts people very very helpfull and honest,

maybe you could get them to put it in writting also the fact they had told you the clutch willneed replaceing, as they would have known the DMF almost certainly will need replaceing at the same time

regards malcolm
spic01

Post by spic01 »

Ask for some good will and they might give you a good discount but only if the work is being done by them and this is agreed before the work is started... I have just repalced the DMF in my PUG 407 1.6 HDI today, £270 from ECP, only wish i had fitted it with the clutch i put in 5ooo miles ago... :roll:
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Not much use to you now, but for anyone in the future, I'm sure there is an aftermarket non dual mass flywheel (ie a solid one) that can be fitted instead, negating the need to replace the flywheel every 60K
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
matchplayers

Phone number for peugeot

Post by matchplayers »

Thanks for the help guys, searching for dual mass flywheel, gave me lots of advice that i was looking for. I am currently writing to peugeot to try and reclaim flywheel cost, retrospectively. ( i should try for some labour costs too)I can assure all who are reading this that if they wont pay i will use the small claims court to try and recover the cost under the sale of goods act. As folk are saying, "Not fit for purpose"
here is a direct number for peugeot customer care:-02476884000
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Xac wrote:Not much use to you now, but for anyone in the future, I'm sure there is an aftermarket non dual mass flywheel (ie a solid one) that can be fitted instead, negating the need to replace the flywheel every 60K
Here's a company in Northern Ireland who convert DMFs to solid flywheels:

http://www.exact-spec.com/a-float-flywheel.html

Costs £200 upwards apparently...
ImageImage
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Hi all, DMF failure is extreemly common, ive heard of units failing at 35k miles which just isnt on, my friends transit had to have one at 55k and again at 90k the second time it went we made sure a solid one went back in, i dont even see the point of the DMF, its minimal benifits do not outweigh the poor life span or high cost of the units and in my opinion at least they should never have been used.

Good luck
D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Wheeler made a comment in another thread that they make cambelts last longer :?
Wheeler wrote:timing belt replacement interval of 160,000 miles (or 10 years). The extended intervals are one of the 'advantages' of having a dual mass flywheel.
Quite how that works I'm not sure. So, all the money you save in not having cambelts replaced goes into having a DMF replaced at cambelt-like intervals :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I wouldnt say its marketed as the main reason but they say it's one of the 'features' of the DMF.
Added some info in the other post.