gsf copper pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bob-meek

gsf copper pipe

Post by bob-meek »

Can any one confirm that the pipe that gsf sell is copper (N65972)?
1994 Citroen XM 2.5td estate (running)
1996 Citroen XM 2.0ct hatchback (running)
1990 Citroen XM 2.0i hatchback (s.o.r.n but not forgotten)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Mmm, doesn't say does it, the pipe supplied by Plaiedes is I think nickel/copper, its very soft compared with the original - I should phone and ask them.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Would think the original is Nickel/Copper. As most people know Copper is much softer and easier to bend . I don`t think there is a carmaker who actually uses copper. It is all Kunifer type for brake systems. Much superior.

Yet as we know the copper is used regularly in garages for repairs to MOT standard. I speak of the braking systems in normal cars and would imagine Citroen to be the same?

To confuse matters further , scratch built cars can pass SVA test with copper pipe .
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

original pipes on citroens are not copper/knickle they are black powder coated steel,

but the rolls of 3,5,4.5 and 6.35 pipe from GSF are coper knickle

regards malcolm
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

To be a real anorak :roll: -

'Cunifer' is a family of alloys of copper (Cu), nickel (Ni) and steel (iron Fe) that are corrosion resistant, reasonably ductile, don't work-harden (vibration-proof) making them ideal for fixed hydraulic pipes in vehicles. IIRC, 'Bundy' tubing is much the same but rather harder (less Cu?) and was/is often used for old-fashioned injector pipes.

Vehicle manufacturers often use plated or coated steel for brake pipes because it's cheap and pre-formed pipes spring back into shape if not bent too far during storage/transport/assembly. That steel pipe is difficult to work, kinks too readily, and needs heavy-duty equipment for forming flanges/nipples isn't a problem in large-scale manufacture but does make it unsuitable for workshop/DIY use.

The alloys for pipes supplied for making up pipes in the workshop will be a compromise between ductility and cost.

I suspect that pure copper is too soft for the exceptionally high pressures in hydro-pneumatic Citroens - and anyway it work hardens with the potential for fatigue failures!

I think we can be reasonable sure that pipe supplied by GSF specifically for Citroen hydraulics is 'fit for the purpose'. :)
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)