306 HDi Issue

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shezads

306 HDi Issue

Post by shezads »

I'am hoping someone has come across this before and is able to help.

We have a X reg 306 HDi (now on approx 127k) in the family. There is an intermittent fault, whereby the speedo will stop working all of a sudden.
It usually starts to work again after the engine is restarted. Not sure if the engine has to be left off for a while or not. At first I thought it was a speedo cable issue, but now think it may be an electrical issue.

There is another post on Honest John website referring to someone having a similar issue, but as yet there are no fixes. One poster has suggested checking the wireloom near the engine as this was the cause for the issue on a 406. I thought I would post in the hope someone can help.

Thanks
Found my Alfa at Last!

04 156 2.4 JTD SW Veloce (Pics coming soon)

In the family:
W 306 HDI
M 306 TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I think what Honest John was referring to the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) which drives the speedo.

This is located down on the final drive of the gearbox in more or less the same place as you would have found the sppedo cable years ago. It is mounted on the RH (long) driveshaft housing and has a three pin connector going to it.

They do fail occasionally but it's worth checking the wiring as it's all a bit hostile down there for little electrical signals and French wiring :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...