Xantia 1997 TD Issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chevron Terry
My Cars:

Xantia 1997 TD Issues

Post by Chevron Terry »

Hi ,
I"ve been lucky enough to be given an Xantia Diesel , td 1997 , from one of the C.C.C. members .
He tells me it has two issues .
One ;
Air bag light is on all the time , ever since his local garage changed the Heater Matrix . [ they needed to take steering wheel off . ]
Two ;
Water appeared in the passenger footwell last week , after heavy rainfall . could it still be the Heater Matrix ?
Iam collecting the car early next month .
Has anybody got any ideas , before I get to see the car ,
Many thanks again
Terry .
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Given one eh, Terry. That's a great result :D Welcome to Xantia ownership!

Both are very straightforward faults and both as a result of a matrix change! Just be thankful that job has been done...

The airbag will be due to possible damage on the swivel connector under the airbag that connects it to the airbag ECU and allows the steering wheel to rotate. If you're lucky it'll just be disconnected but if not, it will be damaged. It's a cassette containing a spiral of ribbon cable that unwinds/winds up as you turn the wheel. If the thing is not properly aligned on replacement, the first turn of the wheel to full-lock will stress the ribbon and break it.

The second will be caused by the windscreen scuttle panel not being properly sealed back to the screen after it was removed to change the matrix. It's a very common fault and usually encountered when a windscreen is changed as the fitters generally do not understand the need to get a good seal on this panel.

You will need to have the passenger footwell carpet out to dry it out properly as you will find the foam underlay to be totally saturated. It will hold gallons. No difficult, just remove the drivers seat and centre console and the carpet will lift up after disconnecting the handbrake cable.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chevron Terry
My Cars:

Xantia diesel issues

Post by Chevron Terry »

Thanks CitroJim ,
Forever in your Debt !
Regards Terry .
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Hello Terry,

My first Xantia had the airbag light on and, after a heavy downpour, a sodden passenger footwell carpet.

A bit of soldering and exterior sealant fixed both problems. Hopefully, you'll enjoy the cheaper and easier solution too. :wink: (though the matrix did fail later on!)

The airbag has proven inadequate connectors under the seat and shifting the seat back and forth or hoovering under them has been known to disturb the connectors and cause an open circuit. Soldering the wires isn't ideal (in case of seat removal) but should last the life of the car. Next time, I would follow Xac's example and use Deans Connectors.

As for the wet footwell, the rain got in between the scuttle and windscreen, ran into the air intake and out the vents. A small bead of sealant along the top join of the scuttle was all it needed.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Terry

Glad you have finally got yourself your Xantia that you have been trying so hard to get.Glad to see my email reply didnt put you off the Xantia for good :) :)

Not sure how much time you have before you collect your Xantia but it may help you if you get chance to drive another one before you get yours give you something to compare it with.I know its not a fair comparisson but i borrowed a mates 110 hdi everynow and then and was somewhat perplexed when i got my 1.9d :lol: :lol:
The one good point was that it gave me something to judge it by ie how a Hydraulic Citroen should behave :wink: :wink:

Whatever trim level it has and however well looked after im sure you will have things to sort out on it but you are in the best place to get the proper advice and hints.Lots of early TLC (and pain :lol: ) will lead to a very enjoyable car....but they dont like to be left to their own devices too long just think what a puppy can do whilst your back is turned :lol: :lol:

All the best

Colin