wheel slant\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\405

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

auto
My Cars:

wheel slant\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\405

Post by auto »

i have wheel slant on 405 1.6 does this need a new axle anyone know whats involved cost etc cheers[8D]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't the 405 use the same swing arm setup as the Xantia ? If so, your bearings have probably gone. Do a search for swing arm bearings for the Xantia info.
Mat.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

405 rear setup IIRC is same basic torsion bar design as the ZX,205,306 and so on, and bear no resemblance to the Xantia, BX or the like.
The actual bearings are not expensive at £12.50 a side, but as with the other models mentioned, the shaft they ride on can become worn or rust damaged, no way of knowing until its stripped down.
Easiest way to look for play in the bearings is to jack car up, suport on axle cross tube, wheel off, shocker disconnected at bottom end and let susp. arm hang down to relieve spring pressure, it will then be easey to lift the arm at its pivot point and detect any play in the bearings.
Dave
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I stand corrected [:I]
auto
My Cars:

Post by auto »

well its going in to be checked out ps this is only one side drivers and recently went through its mot cheers for your advice
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dave -
Except for the torsion bar detail, your description sounds so close to the Xantia/BX rear arm setup, that you have triggered me.
Any possible web pix/schematic showing the setup ???
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Sorry Anders, don't know of any web pics but will scan a haynes under car photo of the ZX for you and e-mail it if you like.
What you got in mind anyway.
Dave
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dave -
The bottom line reason is the hysteric cost of new cars (and parts) here in DK, and hence the "impossible" ongoing repairs of old cars allready on stable. Next reason is pure technical curiousity & interest.
I have only one MOT'ed BX on stable at present, but 3 more to MOT, and my CX to rebuild. (Even my brothers '82MB123, (stuck engine) but that's a total different story.)
Since my encouraging experience with Xantia rear cylinders (½ price of BX) fitting the BX (well - slight but easy mod's), I try find detailed tech info on the various bits on PSA cars.
I'm allready aware of the huge amounts of details possible to swap from BX to CX and vice versa. Xantia seems promising in usable parts for BX, since many parts are only slightly modified, even better made at lower price on the Xantia.
Many parts from the drivetrain are directly swappable between most PSA cars, besides engines & boxes. This is not known commonly, simply because of different spare part no schemes/type no designations between Peug/Cit.
Seems though, that Citroen people are way more DIY ready than Peug people. Vast detailed tech info on Cit's are allready available on the web, but have you ever seen a 405 parts list on the web ? (like the available BX parts list) or even Peug sites like the Czech Cit info site ?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Hi, Anders. Do you know if the front struts are swappable between Xantia and BX?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Tom -
[:)] I know why you are asking this [:)]
XM & Xantia front struts are non serviceable [:(!]
And they have welded on - to the outer tube - details for attaching droplinks etc.
The BX front strut is FULLY serviceable, parts still available at low cost.
The BX front strut outer tubing is a straight tube, no details attached, except the return hoses.
Seems a VERY interesting project.
Simply dismantle the BX tube, cut off the details from the X's strut and weld on to the empty BX strut tube.
Overhaul & assemble the BX strut details.
If the rest of the BX strut details fits the X models struts otherwise - that is.
These BX strut details are :
Outer tube diameter & lenght.
Attachment rod's lenght, design & top nut thread (details where it fits on the chassis rubber mount & sphere manifold)
You have triggered me now Tom [;)]
I've got several BX struts on stock, and several weblinks with schematic's on BX parts, and some links on X's parts schematics.
[:p] This is growing interesting..... [:p]
Too late night (or early morning) now - will be back with more details later.