Hear it out or change dilema !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BrianM
My Cars:

Hear it out or change dilema !

Post by BrianM »

I have a 97 Xantia TD, served me well with almost 225K on the clock. Changed the gearbox @216K because of a whine and now the one I put in is starting the same moaning !- It seems to related to the left hand drive but its not a wheel bearing - jack up one wheel at a time - noise there when left hand spinning on its own. Anyway - have been keeping the eyes open and have found an 01 Xantia HDI SX < 100K (supposedly) on the clock and am tempted to have a look at it. Asking price seems a bit high but I'm sure its negotiable (am in Ireland). I know the hdi wouldn't be as diy friendly enginewise with the extra electronics, but having had Xantia TDs for the last 9 years am pretty much in tune with the rest of the car mechanically !. Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Brian
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Firstly, an 01 HDi SX is fairly rare, most 2000 and 01 Xantias are either HDi 90's or Petrols (No doubt some one will shout at me for saying that, but its what Ive found looking around)

100k is ok if theres a good history, and the high pressure pump in the tank has been changed... whats the good price? Your in Euros, unless your in Northern Ireland (I Think)

the HDi lumps are hard to asses.. some, on here too, have got good mileages from them, others have not done so well... its down to treatment I guess, and quality of fuel used..

Me? Id actually consider going for it, the driving pleasure from the HDi is AMAZING especially in 110bhp form, and is pretty good on fuel too! 48mpg to about 50mpg..

And its one of the LAST Xantias too and in a bloody good spec.. SX is well kitted out, if almost everything you will need!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Went to look at the 01 HDI - Its a pity the outside of the car wasn't as clean as the inside !. Didn't even drive it - didn't want to waste both my time and the sellers. Looks like its time to start ripping apart one of the gearboxes I have in the garage !

Brian
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

That the silver one in Limerick for 4 grand? :-k
ImageImage
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

It was a Buy and Sell immaculate ! That one in Limerick must be something special - seems like I've been looking at it online for about 2 years now and the price has never changed !
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Ha ha.

'Macklet' - whenever I see that in a B&S ad I just know it's going to be anything but... :D
ImageImage
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

my RHD Xantia always wines in 3rd gear it had third replaced before I bought it, I give it some wyns transmission lubricant at oil changes and it quite'ns downs quite a lot.

I drain the box over night measure out the oil minus the wyns add the wynns stir it in and refill via the breather beneath the air filter with a plastic bottle with bottom cut out and a clear plastic hose on the end the filling process is slow but it coats the gears as it fills.

stops the clunky gear change when the engine is cold to.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.