Bouncy suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chevron Terry
My Cars:

Bouncy suspension

Post by Chevron Terry »

Hi ,
In my local paper;
For Sale ,
Xantia 1.9 TD - 1994 - 157000 MILES .
He says , the problem with the car is , the suspension is very bouncy , especially over bumps .
Is it something I can fix myself ?
would it be very exspensive ?
Iam very new to Citroen mechanics , but willing to learn .
Thanks
Terry .
P.S. Price £150. tempting .
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

chances are it just needs new spheres.
they're about £22 from gsf. depending on age and model you'll need 5 to 10 of them, but most likely only 5 or 6.
you probably should also replace the lhm with hydroflush to give the hydraulics a good clean.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Krede
My Cars:

Post by Krede »

Very hard to comment on.. but If its "hard" as well as bouncy it probably needs new gas spheres......not a big deal.
If that doesn't cure it, you will need to address the hight correctors... again.. if they are stuck in too high a setting, the car will be bouncy as well...
If the rest of the car is fine.. I'd say go for it.... but you need to be able to fix most of the stuff yourself if its not going to cost you and arm and a leg.

You don't need any special "citroen" knowledge in order to work on the Xantia suspension as long as it's not of the hydractive kind.

PS: If the car has been driven with too low pressure in the spheres, the strut consoles and other suspension parts might have suffered too...
Xantia 2.0 Hdi , Talbot Matra Murena 2.2(fuel injected ;) )
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I agree with Xac - new spheres ought to resolve the bounce - on my xantia, 1 yr newer, I've only ever replaced 4 at a time (1 per wheel).

Apart from looking at overall car condition, I'd look carefully at the top unit/strut on the front suspension. I've just replaced one of mine, & purchased new unit, only available from Citroen - cost approx £150. Good information on this forum, & lots of photos, but the problem you'll have is deciding how good the units are. They're fitted from the wheelarch side, bolted up to the inner wing, & most of unit is in the engine compartment. The part of the unit in the wheel arch is encased in rubber, and over about a year, I saw the rubber peeling away more & more, so prodded with small screwdriver & found/made a small hole through to engine bay. Didn't want to risk it failing, hence replacement. On removal, found the rust was mainly in one area, and it might have been OK for another year or 2 - who knows - I don't begrudge replacing it - needed doing sooner or later.

I'd also be influenced by how many owners it's had (fewer the better), and hopefully not used as taxi.

Good luck - Martin :)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I can't really add to what the others have said, as long as it doesn't have a sports suspension button, the setup is rather simple once you've got past the inital culture shock :lol:

Xantidote wrote:only available from Citroen - cost approx £150
:shock: :shock: Prices are certainly rising, im glad I replaced mine when I did at £95 a side IIRC
At this rate we'll have to ask Pleildes if he can get some made up :wink:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

please DO NOT get under a hydraulic citroen without it being properly supported, as they can and have KILLED persons,

you have to whatch your fingers to TEA HE

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If it is only the suspension spheres that need replacing it is a very cheap car.
Do take heed of citronut's advice about getting under the car without it being rigidly supported on axle stands.

The best advice I can give is to read through as many posts as possible and get a feel for what goes wrong and how easy/difficult it is to repair then check your prospective purchase for anything that is going to be costly or difficult.

Despite a conflicting reputation, hydraulic Citroens are no more difficult to work on than their mainstream competitors and very often a lot simpler.
There is a very French logic applied to them that once you accept it is different, is actually quite accessible.

Best of luck with it, I hope it serves you long and well. I'm sure it will.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Find out which model it is. If it's a VSX or similar it will have the sports suspension button in which case the bouncyness can be due to sticking electrovalves. This is relatively easy to fix.

From my experience you get the bounciest ride when the electrovalves aren't working. But, whether it's electrovalves or spheres it will be easy to fix.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Chevron Terry
My Cars:

Bouncy suspension

Post by Chevron Terry »

Thanks for all the help and advice .
I was too slow , he sold it !
I will keep looking though , and if any of you guys here of a Xantia Diesel, any age , any spec , please let me know .
Thanks again
Terry .
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Terry, I know of an alleged 110HP Hdi Xantia, in emerald green, which needs some spheres..

140K and about £500 I think..

Norfolk...