gearbox problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dazmo11

gearbox problem

Post by dazmo11 »

need help with my citroen xsara 1.816valve vtr i been told a diesel gearbox will fit anyway i fitted it with normal clutch for the vtr and when i push the pedal in its grinding anyone got any ideas please realy do need help just wont go in gear when engines running
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Obviously the clutch isn't disengaging, can you feel any pressure against the pedal when you press it, does it feel normal?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Petrol and diesel models usually have different clutches and I'm wondering if you have used part of a diesel clutch and part of a petrol clutch and hence the failure to work through incompatibility.

Check and if they are different then you'll have to use the whole diesel clutch and maybe even a diesel flywheel if that will fit the engine.

What was the original reason for fitting a diesel 'box? Normally, they don't suit a petrol engine's power and torque characteristics at all. Even if you do get it working, you may be very disappointed with the result.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as Jim says if you have fitted a petrol clutch (normal push action) in a gearbox with the TD gearbox with the pull action release fork, then its very unlikely to work, unless you swapped the complete fork arangment from you old box, then it should work all be it the ratios mmight be wrong,

what was wrong with the original box,

and were abouts are you

regards malcolm