Rear brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Rear brakes

Post by Fox »

Hi there,
My rear brakes have squelled under anything bar light braking for ages now. It appears to be just the offside rear brake.
What should I do to fix this problem? Tried some copper grease a few months back, to no avail. It's getting quite embarassing now :)
Thanks!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

What is the state of the discs, are the pistons free? - I've heard that bevelling the leading edge of the pad by a little can help. I would suggest using a knife or similar rather than sanding it and risking inhaling dust.
Jeremy
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I've had squeeling rear brakes in the past, caused by a build up of corrosion between the caliper and the trailing arm.
When it gets realy bad the layer of corrosion gets thats thick it actualy pushes the caliper over and into contact with the disc.
The only cure is to remove the caliper and disc to clean away the corrosion, check the caliper mating face is still ok.
Dave
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I know it might sound like nothing, but years ago when the BL Marina's came out they had a very bad habit of this with their front drum brakes. It was cured by filing a leading edge bigger than at present to the shoes leading edes ( the edge facing the rotation, not away)
Sooty
maxrobertson
My Cars:

Post by maxrobertson »

I was getting a squeal which I thought was the pads, but on getting down close I found the on both sides the caliper had corroded sufficiently badly that the part closer to the hub centre was touching the disc ever so slightly. I didn't do too much dismantling - out with the pads, back with the pistons, remove the disc retaining bolt, a little persuasion with a sof-faced hammer, a little spray at the disc/hub mating face with penetrating oil and, hey presto, the dick moved sufficiently on the hub to allow some abrasive paper in between the disc and the caliper. Press the abrasive face against the caliper with the disc, rotate it back and forward a few times and back comes the clearance. It solved my problem nicely - although it may not be your answer it might be someone else's and could save quite a bit of money!