front bumper/fan unit removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dieseldoggy
My Cars:

front bumper/fan unit removal

Post by dieseldoggy »

hi got to remove front end to access the cooling fans.how do you get bumper of a mk1 zanty.as don't think it's poss to by taking rads out as has A/C aswell. looking at Haynes manual???.then threw it over my shoulder as don't look same as under mine and who writes those things as they seam a book of disinformation now days?
xantia 19td estate 96-7
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

It is possable to remove the fans through the front grille without taking the bumper off but when i did mine 2 years ago i removed the bumper.
If you decide to remove the bumper then yes the BOL lives up to its name :lol: :lol:

You should find that after removing the grille itself there are 2 13mm bolts that hold the bumper.These are accessed by removing the front wheel arch liners (much better access removed) and a good inspection will reveal their location :) :)
You will need to remove 4 or 5 10mm bolts from the underside of the bumper valence and 2 torx screws that help to hold the bumper ends in place just forward of the front wheels (1 each side).The BOL says that you have to remove the front foglights to access the 2 remaining bolts these bolts dont exist(at least not on the 4 MK1 Xantias i have owned :) ) once all previous bolts/screws have been removed give the bumper a good tug and off it comes :D
Will add more tomorrow when i get back from work with pics on the A/C rad and how to manouvere it out the way

Colin

Colin
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Hi cheers matey.yes the BOL is pants was looking at fuses? don't know what car they looked at but sure wasn't my model? and love the pics which arn't even with what you're reading.when i had my sierra i had green thicker manual which was great full info init and blue which is for later ones and less pages= alot less and usefull info. Plus 90o/o now is see dealer or hell don't ask me i don't know is ashtray full??? :roll:
xantia 19td estate 96-7
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

No need to remove the bumper - just the top cowl piece.

Use a 10mm×¼" drive socket with a 12mm hex ground on its butt end. Fit this socket by hand over each of the fan motor nuts after removing the blade (left hand thread screw, tiny little lockwasher that's easily lost) and turn with a small spanner. Withdraw the motor forwards.
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

admiral51 wrote:It is possable to remove the fans through the front grille without taking the bumper off but when i did mine 2 years ago i removed the bumper.
If you decide to remove the bumper then yes the BOL lives up to its name :lol: :lol:

You should find that after removing the grille itself there are 2 13mm bolts that hold the bumper.These are accessed by removing the front wheel arch liners (much better access removed) and a good inspection will reveal their location :) :)
You will need to remove 4 or 5 10mm bolts from the underside of the bumper valence and 2 torx screws that help to hold the bumper ends in place just forward of the front wheels (1 each side).The BOL says that you have to remove the front foglights to access the 2 remaining bolts these bolts dont exist(at least not on the 4 MK1 Xantias i have owned :) ) once all previous bolts/screws have been removed give the bumper a good tug and off it comes :D
Will add more tomorrow when i get back from work with pics on the A/C rad and how to manouvere it out the way

Colin

Colin
Hi did you find any pics?.the book of lies reckonks that you just move rads back and can undo fan nuts?.yes 2 do but what about A/C rad?.Going to have a good sort out tomorrow pull it all to pieces etc! jigsaw puzzle?
xantia 19td estate 96-7
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Sorry for the delay dieseldoggy :oops: :oops:
Have not been able to locate the pics they were stored on aol pictures but that seems to have awol now :? :?

What i can say is this that i lifted from a previous posting of mine :) :)

i removed front bumper and slam panel no need to remove bonnet catches just lift up and rest on engine make sure outer edges are resting on something so not to scratch wings
the rad will tilt forward and you can remove turbo intercooler with ease
the a/c condensor/rad is held onto fan housing by 2 bolts on o/s bottom they have a 5mm allen key head and a 14mm nut. on the n/s there are 2 lugs going into rubber bungs inside the fan housing
once the bolts are removed the a/c rad will slide carefully towards the o/s wing and pop out from the housing bungs on the n/s no need to disconect pipes etc this should give you room to change fans.
i do it this way as it enables me to clean all muck out between rads and give them a wash over with the hose you can even check to see if there is any corrosion etc

Hope this may help you in some way but just be very careful with A/C pipes and condensor they will give a bit but not too much :lol: :lol:

Colin
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You blokes make it all very hard, if changing the fans is our primary goal. I haven't tried a Series I, but I can have both fans out of a Series II in twenty minutes.

With the AC mounting block referred to above, there are also some coupling bolts - wouldn't want to loosen them by mistake and lose R134A.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Found these old pictures from when things were done the hard way, with the radiator out, and broken condenser brackets.

Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389