C5 SERVICE REQUIREMENTS???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chris050

C5 SERVICE REQUIREMENTS???

Post by chris050 »

Folks

I have just bought a 2002 C5 2.0 Hdi 110. I have never driven a car so comfortable. So far I think it's great and returns incredible economy.

It has 82000 miles and to date it has a full Citroen service history. I would like to have it serviced and I already have a reputable independent mechanic who can do it and stamp the book etc.
Apart from oil and filter, what other engine components need to/should be replaced at this time???
Obviously I'll get brakes etc. checked and my question is more to do with the engine.

Many thanks for any assistance you can give.

Regards
Chris
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Welcome to the forums. The C5 crowd is growing :)

Get the injectors checked. They have a habit of burning out the copper washers and leaking a bit.

A visual and aural check is enough to determine if they have started leaking, If so remove them and replace the fire washers and the copper washers.

Also get the fuel filter very carefully checked/replaced. Examine minutely for traces of very fine metal swarf, which is an indication of the lift pump giving up the ghost.
If there are signs of this, replace the filter housing as well as the filter - you don't want to risk that getting into your diesel pump, it WILL ruin it.
If there is any swarf, the lift pump needs replacing too.

Sorry to be a bit of a scaremonger there but it is a very simple but vital check, skipping it can cost lots of money. It is only a check though, but well worth including in the service.
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Useful information there from myglarem, I must check the injectors in my sons C5, Could I also add to keep the Timing Belt in mind. Change recommended at 100,000 miles, togather the usual things on that side of the engine, Pulley, Water Pump etc. Probably better to get it done somewhere in the 90s to be sure.. Also make sure that your machanic is aware that the C5 does NOT use LHM. It is a product called LDS and this is checked by lowering the suspension completely, and bringing the level up to the markings on the side of the tank.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Good call on the timing belt - the replacement is scheduled for 100,000 on mine and had been done but bodged. Had it done at about 120,000 to be sure, along with water pump and tensioners.

A lot of C5-ers change the timing belt at 80,000 to be on the safe side.
chris050

Post by chris050 »

Many thanks for your assistance chaps. All very useful information and I'll get my man to check the items mentioned.
I hope to be on this forum for a while for your thoughts and occasional guidance, but I hope it's not for too many problems!! (although I know these can occur in any car.)

Many thanks
Chris
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Rear Suspension Cylinders are another thing that go around this milage.
At 5 years it should have the suspension serviced.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.