Replacement Xantia Windscreen

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Replacement Xantia Windscreen

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've decided that the large stone chip in the bottom middle of my windscreen that has been filled up, along with all the bits of welding sparks from when a chap sorted out my dropping door and the large collection of scratch marks is not on so im going to look at replacing the windscreen.
Never had one done before, any pitfalls to watch out for or ones I should watch out for with regards to Xantia 'screens?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

yes don't break it? .they normal just cheese wire it out.just watch to see if goes through paint work anywhere then just touch back up.
xantia 19td estate 96-7
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

welding spatter stuck to the glass? Unforgivable - even a novice would know to cover the screen up.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

make sure you use a competent company so you get a good job,

as some of the big companys like AUTOGLASS well at least our local one are a bunch of bodgers,

they made a right pigs ear of my mates XM,

also make sure the plastic scuttle is re,bonded were it contacts the screen, or you will have water getting into ther car

regards malcolm
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Yes to the need to seal scuttle to windscreen. Read somewhere on forum of risk of wet footwells, and on my Mk1, maybe water could get into heater motor - unsure how it would affect models with aircon.

Would be interested as to what sealant you use, and how successful it is. In 2004, I had to do heater matrix, and refixed scuttle with "Tiger" polyeurethane sealant from motor factor (local Citroen agent said Sikaflex, but couldn't find locally). However, within a year, scuttle started to lift from w/s at n/s end, and temporarily effected a sort of seal with old Sealastik lurking in garage. Came across Sikaflex-291 in marine chandlers recently, so bought 300ml cartridge (black) for £10-11. Again it's a polyeurethane sealant, described as "fast cure marine adhesive & sealant". Hopefully it's a better quality than the previous sealant, and won't debond, or perhaps polyeurethane sealant is not the right material. It's a b****** to get off the hands. Found I only used about 1/4 of the cartridge. It's also available in smaller tube I think, but then hand applied, rather than gun.

Cheers - Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I use just straight NORMAL silicon sealant to stick the trim down! ANYTHING stronger could cause problems next time the trim needs to come off.. I Think the Original stuff citroen use to stick it is FAR FAR to strong!!!

Never had a problem with the silicone sealent - or even instant gasket at that point...

Red_dwarfers, car not insured? Get a new screen for £75 and it DOES NOT affect your noclaims, Ive had 2 screens now, on insurance, and my no claims is the same....

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sikaflex can be had from eBay.
Use Solvent #3 or #5 to get it off. Need to be quick with it though.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Red_dwarfer - sorry, not intending to hijack your thread.

Citroenxm - thanks Paul, I'll try silicon if I have to do scuttle again.

Cheers - Martin :lol:
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Sorry Kev happened upon this post a little late :oops: :oops:

I need to get a screen fitted to my VSX and i think the average quote i have is about £130. Im going through my insurance on this particular problem and i need to pay the full amount and then claim the £70 back from them but as citroenxm says it doesnt afect your NCB if you have Fully Comp Ins :D :D
There are a few factors to weigh into this before you accept any quote

Series 1 and 2 Xantia screens do have a different fixing for the interior mirror (as im led to believe :) ) and also one of the quotes (higher end) did say that they would need to pre order a new scuttle at about £45 as they tend to break so if you neeeeeeddd a new one then double check what they will/could :wink: replace when doing the job

As previous posts check the seal on the scuttle to screen particularly on both wing corners as n/s has the air vent for the blower and the o/s has the main junction box for all the electrics :twisted:
Also bear in mind the fact that the wiper have to come off so try to mark their position on the spindles so they go back in near enough the right place :) :)

Dont forget that once the screen is in it need to be left and the vehicle not moved for a couple of hours to let things set :D :D

Just as an aside and this may have been pure luck/coincidence i do know of someone who had a peugot (cant remember model :oops: ) that needed a new screen and the fitter turned up with one for a Xantia and it was the same size screen and reportedly cheaper and fitted :D :D

Colin
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Thanks for all the tips and pointers :D
I've got a funny feeling that im not insured......for a replacement windscreen :lol: Don't think I could have quite bitten the bullet for all the zeros that fully comp came with :wink:
I will check though and either way I'll phone around and ask some questions.

Don't fret Martin thats what make this forum interesting :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Just on a quick pointer, the scuttle only REALLY needs sealing over the passenger side above the blower motor intake is push comes to shove, theres not a real issue if it breaks, it just looks DAMM untidy

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto