Xantia mkI seats into a Xantia MkII

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Krede
My Cars:

Xantia mkI seats into a Xantia MkII

Post by Krede »

I have gotten hold of a set of electric leather seats that came out of a MkI v6 that broke its automatic gearbox enough times for the owner to scrap the car!

I want to fit them in my Xantia HDI which has the side air bag, seat belt tensioner and heating.

Mounting points seem to be identical, but I need some help with the wiring.
I haven't been able to find any info on this what so ever.

Think I should be able to(carefully!)sort out the seat belt tensioner and the heating, but any help with the electrics would be much appreciated
Does anybody know which goes where on the electric mkI seats?

Regards
Christian
Xantia 2.0 Hdi , Talbot Matra Murena 2.2(fuel injected ;) )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Christian,

Ahh, now you have a tricky problem with the airbags. My MK1 V6 has leather but neither heating nor side air bags. There will be no way of using MK1 seats without side airbags in a MK2 car with side air bags as no good method has been found to "fool" the airbag ECU into believing the missing airbags are present. It does not matter in the UK at present but be careful that you may run into problems in your country as disabling the airbags may not be legal there.

The wiring between the MK1 and MK2 will be different in respect of the seat controls, heating and seatbelt pre-tensioners. To successfuly do the job you will need the seat wiring harnesses complete from the old MK1 V6.

I should be able to supply wiring diagrams for both the MK1 and Mk2 if this will help.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I broke a Series 2 Xantia, well, still am, and was surprised to find the harness for electric seats was in thecar already...

You CAN take the air bag light bulbs outof the dash, as air bags are NOT MOT tested....

That the easy way anyway..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

on that subject, Jim should you and I swap our front seats.. :twisted:

we both have M2 electric leather, but Jims are side air-bag and his car didn't have those from the factory, and mine wants side airbags but my leather doesn't have them... :D

as for the light, Jim didn't you think a small resistor in-line, at the airbag plug, would fool the ECU? I never got around to trying it.

John
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

jgra1 wrote: as for the light, Jim didn't you think a small resistor in-line, at the airbag plug, would fool the ECU? I never got around to trying it.

John
When I first got my Xant, I found that someone had done just that to the drivers side pretensioner. After taking it off and plugging the pretensioner back into circuit the light came on. After sticking bullet connectors on the connections under the seat I now have a working drivers pretensioner with no work arounds :D
So in conclusion, it does work...with pretensioners.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Krede
My Cars:

Post by Krede »

I went to an authorized Citroen dealer and asked very politely if I they had the schematics for the seats in my car..... and much to my surprise they printed me a copy at no cost! (they might have taken pity on me when they learned that I am driving a Xantia :) )
I then raided a scrap yard and found a couple of v6 X2's from which I tore out the wires and connectors for the seats.
X1 and X2 seat connectors are not the same. But with both the schematic and the connectors at hand, connection the seats is pretty straight forward :)
I have decided to fit the X2 connectors to the X1 seats, and add the wires for the electric operations (+) and ground to the ones already in my car, as Im 99% certain that the wires for the heating is the same.
The pre tensioners are a separate connector, the seat part of which , I will also be replacing with a X2 one., no sweat.

As for airbags.. I don't think that removing them is going to be an issue "legal wise" as X2's were sold both with and without airbags in Denmark.
Fooling the computer might be tricky though.
Im not sure how the system checks the airbags, but one of my mates has fooled the system on his Mondeo when he fitted racing seats.
This was done by plugging the airbag connector with a "special" plug that offered the system the correct resistance value similar to a functioning airbag.... the same must be possible on the Citroen.(I hope).. :)
Otherwise I guess I will disconnect the bulb and be done with it

Jim: I would like a look at the X1 diagram if you have have it.. wouldn't hurt :)
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

mm yep same in UK Krede, regarding Mark 2 xants and side-airbags.. a handful escaped the factory without them , I think in late 1997, after that they all had to have them :D

You or Jim, I would be interested in the schematics, just so I can prove my seat heaters have both failed.. I have the rheostats and all wiring, but have had no luck

John
Krede
My Cars:

Post by Krede »

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Krede.
Krede
My Cars:

Post by Krede »

I fitted the X1 leather seats in my X2 yesterday.
Thought it looked as a pretty straight forward job, it ended up taking the better part of the day, as it ended up involving quite a bit of soldering.

Wiring: I got hold of two complete sets of connectors for an X2 with heated electrically operated seats.(both the "car" and "seat" sides of the connector)
From those connectors I learned that the heating wires are the same (colour coded) on the "seat side" of the connector regardless if it's a X1 or X2 . Thus the connection in my car should not need any modification. I DID have to solder in the X2 connector to enable the seats to accept the X2 socket.
The seatbelt tensioner too , was of a different type on the X1, so, X2 types were fitted as well.

Power for the electrical adjustment was taken from one of the sockets at the fuse board. I had a mate of mine do this as he's pretty neat with electronics and soldering (all right.. he is down right scary in that regard).
The power cable was routed at the floor along with a bunch of other cables running from the fuse board and rearwards.
I fused the power cable (10 amp) at the drivers seat, and ran the power on to the passenger seat.
I used the earth connection already in the car , situated under the drivers seat.

Each seat is fitted with a power relay that only allows the seats to be operated with the ignition on.
As this meant I would have to run another wire from the dash and back.
After making sure that the seats were not drawing any current when "off" I opted to bypass the relays instead. Then seats can thus be operated without the ignition on... which I actually find....and since I have no kids, I don't risk the battery running flat from someone playing with the seats :P

Airbags/tensioners: Apart from needing to solder in the other socket, the tensioners didn't pose any obstacle.
The airbags was a concern though as the leather seats has non, and my car has the side airbags.
I did a search on the internet, and the general remedy seemed to be to remove the bulb...a solution I didn't find good enough.
As mentioned earlier, My mate has a Mondeo with some racing seats fitted in stead of the standard "side airbaged" ones. the solution there has been to plug the connector with a small resistor that offers up the same value as the airbag.

We measured this resistance which turned out to be about 2.3 ohms.
From the net I have found that the value for mid 90's golf side airbags should be about 2.2 ohms.

We then rigged a potentiometer to fit in the vehicle side of the wiring loom. and set it at 2.1 ohms.
Ignition on... 5-6 seconds "Airbag" and Srs" lamps went out like normal
CHEERS!! :)
My mate then soldered me up a pair of 2.1 ohm resistors that were then connected to the seat side of the side airbag connectors, as I would rather not cut into the cars wiring loom.
So far the car has had about a dozen "ignition on"'s and has not reported anything out of the ordinary. :)

NOTE!: the potentiometer "experiment" was done before any seats were removed, as there were some speculation as to how the car would behave if the airbags went off line, and it would have been very sad indeed having to swap the seats back.

Apart from the geen two wire connector, the side airbag system is fitted with an additional geen "earth" wire situated in a separate white socket.
Where to connect this in a seat that had no airbags? I had no answer..
So it was left unconnected, and so far this hasn't posed any problems.
I speculate that it might be a second "ground" for the airbag mounting to avoid static charge build up, as its marked "M" which I have found to be the label for earth wires in my Xantia :)

As there were some doubt whether a computer might be needed to turn of the airbag lamp after a fault, we didn't do any further experiments "in the name of science" but was contend (and not a small bit pleased) that we had solved the issue in our first go at it.
So it might very well be that the airbag lamp will go out by itself after 5-6 seconds regardless of our efforts... but since it worked "as it should"
we weren't gonna mess about with it ! :)