Xantia HDI 110 Exhuast

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Xantia HDI 110 Exhuast

Post by RichardW »

Whilst under the Xantia last weekend doing the h/brake cables I noticed that the exhaust is starting to look a bit scabby. On the HDi 110 this is a one piece jobbie from the engine to the back box, including the cat, and a replacement, even aftermarket, is nearly £400 :shock: Anybody know if the std 1.9TD non-cat pipe will fit? The bore is the same, as the rear box is the same, but I don't know about the fitting onto the turbo. There is a repair pipe avaialable, but that is only the rear section after the cat, and mine is rusty at the bottom of the front corner, and the welds onto the cat. I guess the repair pipe could be bought and a 'new' pipe fabbed from the two. Or alternatively a SS exhaust made up. Any thoughts / experiences?
Richard W
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Richard

Ive Just been here with a HDi 110bhp... I got a TD exhaust in the shead, got it all offered up and NOPE! The exhaust outlet were the down pipe attaches too is BIGGER then the TD exhaust... So the bad news is: you'll need to get a HDi 110 one or weld it up..

If the exhaust is original it SHOULD be joined just after the Cat..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

I had a SS exhaust on my old Xantia cost me about £400 the reused the original cat but did say i could have had a straight pipe a company in dunfermline cant remember the name of hand but i did get a quote for my Xpic and that was about the same.
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It's deffo only one piece, and presumably original - looking at Bosal catalogue I see there was a change about end of 99 to a one piece affair. I saw this part listed at £150+ VAT, but the repair pipe (the dog leg piece) is only £18 + VAT :D . I will probably therefore buy 2 repair pipes, chop the existing one off in front of the cat, chop one of the repair pipes into a straight length, and de-cat it with a 3 piece exhaust, for £40 8)

PS bore increased to 60mm at some point, hence the TD (54mm) doesn't fit - it looks like the same rear box though, but the main pipe reduces to suit the box at the back.
Richard W
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Guess the bore increased then when the HDi 110bhp engine was fitted, larger out put for more power.. Im sure, when mum had her 90bhp HDi the pipe ws the same size, but cannot remember for sure now...

My 1999 T reg HDi 110bhp, had the split cat pipe on it, AND it was an ORIGINAL peice in GREAT order too, as it had a date on it... It must be stainless to have lasted 215k miles!!!!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Can be done!

Post by neil123 »

Richard,

I have a 110HDI estate, which needed a new front pipe. Decided to de-cat at the same time and obtained the previous 1.9TD type front pipe, which as others have said. won't fit because the front mounting flange is different. HOWEVER, a half hour with an angle grinder and MIG welder saw the old flange collar safely attached to the new pipe, and its been fine now for 38k niles, so I guess its ok! Car faster, smoother, more economical too without cat. (Just wish i could work out which part of the loom has damaged the ECU now, and it'll be OK again - any thoughts?!)

Neil
Jacob2112
My Cars:

Post by Jacob2112 »

My 2001 Xantia HDi exhaust broke just behind the back box and I took it to Formula 1 In Eastwood, Essex. Mechanics report was that, yes, I needed a complete one piece system at a cost of £365. I went for a walk (swift pint) and came back after an hour or so. I saw him crouching down under the car lift with a colleague looking at the exhaust system that had been delivered. Oh,oh I thought - here it comes..."they've sent the wrong system etc etc ...wait....hours...sorry"! He stuck his head in the door and said that my existing cat converter was fine and would I be happy if he tried making up a sleeve to join the two parts. OK, says I. Job done, total cost £165 - yup saved me £200 and the car runs fine. Might be worth seeing if you can negotiate a similar set up when you get it done.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Well, almost exactly a year on from the original post, I am about to find out..... Sat at the level crossing this morning and there was a sudden drop in the engine note. Look underneath and the pipe has parted company with the cat - although it is the rear joint that has failed. Will try and get it off this pm and see if it can be salvaged. I wonder if the CAT might end up as a pile on the garage floor.... :lol: My only worry with that is that is might make make the exhaust a bit boomy :?

Not a good weekend for cars - I investigated the bubble in the paint on the sill of the Picasso, and now have a hole around 4" square, and the bottom of the sill is thinned / perforated about half the way along :shock: (More on that in another thread I think) That is looking beyond my fab / welding skills, but now I can't take it to the garage till I can fix the exhaust on mine as I need one of them to get to work!

Forecast for tonight is not good for working on cars....Ho hum :roll:

Oh, and did I mention how much I LOVE working on exhausts??? :D
Richard W
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

I've just fitted the exhaust off my old MK2 2.1TD to my 110 HDI. This is a two piece, so should a be cheaper in the future should one bit fail. This does have a CAT because its a MK2 - did the MK1 have the same exhaust without a CAT?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Well it's off, and the pipe looks salvageable - it actually slots into the cat about 2" and the pipe is pretty OK, the weld has just failed. Might need a patch on the bottom of the pipe, but should last another couple of years.

However, access to the turbo/pipe mounting is interesting to say the least :? I got stuck with the offside bolt once the spring tension had reduced a bit, and I couldn't figure out if a spanner would go on the back (actually once I'd removed the engine undertray and tackled the near side, I figured out what was going on, and it I probably could have got a spanner on), so I took what seemed the easiest option and cut the nut off. Er, bad idea as it turned out :cry: The bolt sits in a collar which in turn sits in the (slotted) hole in the turbo flange. Unfortunately on this side, there isn't enough room to get the bolt out upwards past the turbo - you need to get the collar out so the bolt can slide through the slot, but the collar seems pretty well rusted into the turbo flange :twisted: Last thing I want to do it welt the collar and snap the end off the turbo flange, that really would spoil my day :twisted: Just checked, a new fixing kit is £20, so I think I'll just shorten the bolt a bit more so it will come out, then fit a new bolt from the bottom, with a nut on the top. I suspect getting it in will be a game, but there we are. Unless anyone's got experience and thinks the collar will easily pop out of the flange??

BTW for reference, here's the info on the fixing kit and pipe from Citroen. Do you think they've ever sold one of these pipes :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :?: :!:

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT
00001705GY PIPE 878.29 GBP 1,031.99 GBP 1,031.99 GBP

0000179713 FIXING KIT 16.40 GBP 19.27 GBP 19.27 GBP

Yep, that's over a GRAND for an exhaust pipe!!!

PS - I wasn't wrong - I DO hate working on exhausts!
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

T'aint really going that well.....

Whilst the exhaust is back in one piece, with only about 40 minutes welding, and now has plates welded top and bottom at front and rear of the car which should stop it parting company if the weld fails again, the bolt is proving a right 'mare. I'm not even sure I can cut it off with the current access, so just pondering what parts of the car's anatomy need removing to get access.... sub frame? Steering rack? Engine out?

Still, taking the engine out would give easy access to the cambelt and alternator, and I could throw in a new clutch whilst I was there :roll:

Ever wished you have never started these jobs?

BTW, CitroenXM wrote: "My 1999 T reg HDi 110bhp, had the split cat pipe on it, AND it was an ORIGINAL peice in GREAT order too, as it had a date on it... It must be stainless to have lasted 215k miles!!!! "

Not wrong, Paul, the pipe is stainless - however, Citroen saw fit to weld it with mild steel wire (badly as it turned out, there was not much penetration on the cat side, hence the failure of the weld) and there is a lot of metal wastage in the heat affected zone around the weld. The back section is pretty scabby, but it should be good for another year or so before the repair pipe is needed.
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Ya dancer! (As they say around these parts when things go well). Removed the turbo pipe under the engine and this gave *just* enough room to get a half decent run at the bolt and I got it sawed off. The offending article:

It's not like there was loads of room and it still took half an hour of graft to cut it through, but at least I didn't have to resort to taking the engine out.... :lol:

Have had it offered back up, and at least I can get it in with the back box popped off its front mounts. Getting the bolts back in, on the other hand.... :roll:
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

All back in now. Getting the one piece pipe in is a bit of a challenge, and the rear box has to be moved out of the way. The front bolts were not that bad in the end, took just as long to fight the stupid sprung clip on the pipe / back box joint back on. What an infernal piece of design!
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Well another year on (what is about late July and my exhaust?? :lol: ) and the back end of the main pipe gave out. Got the repair pipe (£27 including a clamp at the local factors) and shoved it on today. It's not too bad a job - managed it with the pipe on the car - got about 3/4 of the way through with the grinder, then finished it off with a junior hack. Cleaned up the raised weld bead in the repair pipe and the old pipe on the car, lubed it up well and it slid on easily. There would be plenty of length in the straight part of the repair part to use it to decat the car if required.

Rear box looks pretty scabby again, I reckon we'll be back here in another year replacing that!
Richard W
allanmc
My Cars:

xantia 110 hdi exhaust

Post by allanmc »

I have a xantia 110 hdi year 2000 fittd a new back box a couple of months ago at the time the flange on the pipe had a bit missing but put some repair bandage and paste on it and it was fine untill today when it started to blow thought I could do away with the cat and put a straight pipe on but reading your letters thats not possible so dont know whether to try more gun gum or bight the bullet and go for a new pipe.
allanmc