Gearbox trouble...help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Gearbox trouble...help!

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Hi guys,

I have placed this thread in the Peugeot section too, as it's concerning a 306, but I need some advice asap, so thought I'd post here too...hope you don't mind!

It's a 306 1.4 petrol, and it's a BE3 box I think??

It is a bit puzzling, as at first i thought it could be the inner CV joint on the drivers side that has failed, as the car would go to move in all the gears including reverse, sometimes actually move under it's own power then sort of pop and grumble underneath sending a lot of vibration through steering wheel and lose drive.

Anyway, I have removed the O/S drive shaft and the inner joint is not in good shape, small metal fragments and no grease owing to a dislodged CV boot, but intact as far as i can see and not excessivly worn, but on draining the oil from the box, found a large amount of metal debris and swarf, some bits of a fair size (Perhaps 7mm in length by 2mm wide), but nothing 'massive' as such.

Question is, does anyone think this sounds like the final drive or diff that has failed? The vehicle would go through all the gears without to much noise in the air, but when i raised just the drivers side, and went through the gears, there was more clunking, raising just the passenger side, the wheel would spin normally in all gears.

Need some ideas asap so I can ether source a box cheaply, or just carry on and replace the O/S drive shaft and hope for the best....HELP!!

Thanks again guys....

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Rob,

I've made a contribution to this in the Peugeot forum :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...