ZX rear suspension rattle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

ZX rear suspension rattle

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi folks, I'm introuble now.

I just bought a very nice (well I thought it was) ZX td for a friend of mine, my wife drove it the 150 miles or so home with no problems whatsoever, until she drove over the farm track that leads to our house, she said it rattled, I've just been out in it and it does, but only on very rough surfaces.

I have been under it, taken one wheel off and I can find nothing, there is no unintended movement in the arm bearings, the wheels are parallel, there are no squeaks or creaks, in fact its just passed the MOT. The noise sounds as though there is a subframe bolt loose, but I cant find any - please don't tell me its the axle - well if you must. :(

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Peter,

Sounds to me like the subframe sandwich mounts have had it, those are the rubber mounts the subframe sits on. They can look good but only reveal themselves when really forced apart. Something often missed by the MOT man.

If it were the axle, you'd see negative camber on the wheels and easily repeatable groans and creaks as you bounced the suspension up and down so I reckon you're OK on that front.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Sloppy front droplinks on the ZX can often sound like a rattle coming from the rear. Might be worth a look.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you jacked the car up by the cross beam you might not find sub frame bush's separated, as the jack will keep them up and together,,

in which case a lever might show them up

and these arm bush's/bearings dont usualy show any movement at all when being lecerd and proded,

the usualy sign is wheels leaning inwards at the top,

this dose sound like sub frame mounting bush's though,

its normaly the rear rears go first then if left the front rears pull apart secondly,

the rear rear's are very easy to fit and the front rear's arnt much harder

regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks Malcolm and James

The noise is definitly at the back, if I rock the car from side to side from underneath I can hear a dull clonk, but not if I move the suspension up and down. No leaning in on the wheels and the tyres are worn evenly. You have given me a ray of hope anyway. Where exactly can I find the subframe bushes - I'm not used to working on anything that not an XM. :?

Peter
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks to you as well Jim - sorry I somehow missed your post, that makes me feel much better :D

GSF list two different types, any idea how I tell the difference?

Peter
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Peter

Info about changing the mounts: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=23055.

However, when they're duff, they usually make quite a deep knocking noise, and usually all the time. The bottom mount for the shockers is a known weak point, and this is more likely to make the sort of noise you are describing - should have been spotted on an MOT though :roll:
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Richard

This is a very heavy knocking noise, sounds like my XM when a subframe bolt was loose, really sounds as though something very heavy is hitting the floor.

Thanks for all the info.

Peter
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

"This is a very heavy knocking noise, sounds like my XM when a subframe bolt was loose, really sounds as though something very heavy is hitting the floor. "

That'll be the mounts then.... Only takes about 1/2 day to change them - you need all 4 - OSF / NSF (They're handed) and the 2 rears (not handed). GSF do them for a pretty reasonable price. It transforms the handling!
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

GSF list 91> on rear/rear are N10162 not handed, front/rear's N10160/1 these are handed,

when you look under you will see two members going rear wards from the main tubeular beam one each side, at the very tail end of these you will find the rear rear bush/s, on each there is a stud top and bottom, lift boot carpet prize the two plastic plugs out to gain access to the top nuts the lower two are obvious when you look at the underside, once the nuts are off just lever the tail of the sub frame away frtomd the body drop the old one out and place the new one back

regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks very much for all the info, I will order them today.

Peter
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

I did these on my Xsara, and it wasn't a particularly hard job to do, just time consuming. Be carful of brake pipes when lowering the sub frame it the main thing to be careful of. I got my car right up on axle stands, and lowered the exhaust out of the way, didn't need to remove it, and the removed the spare wheel cage. As i say, the main thing is just watch the pipes going over and under the subframe, in particular the flexi pipes for the brakes.

After changing all the mounts, which cost me approx £67 from GSF my car handled 100 times better, and feels 'right' on the road now.
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks. I have removed several XM subframes and there aren't so many pipes on this one :D I have a sort of drive on ramp so access shouldn't be to difficult. I have ordered the bits so should do the job tommorrow - if the rain stops. :(
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hi Peter,

How did you get on with the sub-frame bushes, and has this got rid of the knock? I ask, as I have had a knocking noise from the n/s rear on my Xantia. started maybe 2 years ago. Only knocks at low speed (5-15mph?), and also makes a noise on right handers at about 20-30mph. No uneven tyre wear, and no leaning in of rear wheels. Vince at GSF had a quick look, & didn't think it was the radius arm bearings. I'm thinking of the sub-frame mounts as a possibility (ignoring loose exhaust, rubbish in boot etc).

Cheers - Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Martin

Dont know yet, it hasn't stopped raining, I will be doing the job tommorrow if its fine. Will let you know.

Peter