Handbrake light, stop light come on when I drive over 25 mph

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gwb

Handbrake light, stop light come on when I drive over 25 mph

Post by gwb »

Hi,

Anybody know why the handbrake light (!) and stop warning lights come on as soon as I go over 25 mph.

Fitted new front pads (needed done anyway).
Rear breaks fine.
Renewed DOT4 with DOT4 about 3-4 months ago.
No leaks from pipes or callipers.
Brake reservoir at maximum.
clutch works fine.
Car stops fine.
ABS works fine.
Any ideas anybody?
:D

Citroen C5 2001,1.8I. 107000 miles. Had since new.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I do hope you havent put dot 4 brake fluid in the LHM resoviour, if you have it could be very expensive replacing all of the hydraulic seals.

buy yourself a haynes manual it isnt perfect but it will point to where you have gone wrong. 3-4 months with dot 4 brake fluid in the suspension system ouch!!! your hydraulic pump is probably close to failure in which case you will loose your brakes, power steering and suspension quite soon.

only put LHM (green) fluid in the resoviour special hydraulic fluid for citroens.
with the suspension manual height adjuster in between the front seats set to the highest position the orange disc on the float on top of the LHM resoviour tank should be between the two orange lines.

if you have used Dot 4 brake fluid I suspect the whole system needs flushing and being as it was so long ago it is possiable that you have done some considerable damage to the operating seals of the hydraulic system, if not then you are an extreemly lucky individual

regards Nigel.
Last edited by falling-out-with-my-car on 15 Jul 2009, 15:04, edited 2 times in total.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
gwb

Post by gwb »

Hi
It's a C5. It has LDS fluid and the braking or clutch is not on the same system as my hydro

Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Did you adjust the handbrake cables during your work? I'm wondering if the handbrake is being pulled on just enough to active the switch due to maljustment of the handbrake cables?

Also, are you sure it's the handbrake light and not the pad wear indicator? It's very critical that the pad wear wires in the pads are correctly routed to aviod chafing against the disc. If they do chafe, they'll bring the light on as the insulation wears away and it finds an earth from the disc.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

appolagies gwb, I was ill informed by the sounds of it. the handbrake did enter my mind to jim.

regards nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
gwb

Post by gwb »

It's not the handbrake. I changed the front pads, anyway when they wear a orange light comes on. It looks like it has something to do with the speed. When the car is below 25mph it is fine, but as soon as I go over 25 mph it comes on.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

It sounds like it's a computer fault.

C5s are notorious for strange glitches - mine has habit every few months of popping the tailgate open when I unlock the car or open a door (it's doing it now), but stops doing it after a few days. My C5, since I disconnected the battery 2 weeks ago, only operates the rear dropglasses whenI push the plip for them. The fronts stay exactly where they are.

The first thing to try is disconnecting the battery for 5 or 10 minutes. This can cure some faults. You'll have to reset the clock and radio though.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Sorry if this a dumb suggestion but it's nothing to do with the ABS is it? That has a secondary diagnostic that kicks in at about that speed.
gwb

Post by gwb »

You are correct in what you are saying Mike T. Anyway I found the problem, It was my stop light switch. It was coming out of its bracket.

Thanks everybody for your help.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

gwb wrote:You are correct in what you are saying Mike T.
It was a dumb question :oops:

Glad you've found the cause.
mourad
New User
My Cars: citroen C5

Re: stop light switch

Post by mourad »

gwb wrote: 15 Jul 2009, 17:57 You are correct in what you are saying Mike T. Anyway I found the problem, It was my stop light switch. It was coming out of its bracket.
switch is located
light everybody for your help.

Hi gwb.
I m new member and I have the same problem you mentioned could you please tell me where the stop light switch is located please.