oil stop leak addatives good or bad?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

oil stop leak addatives good or bad?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi,

has anyone ever used oil stop leak engine oil addatives and do they work?

what do they work on? Not work on? any advice on your experiences with particular products would be gratefully appreciated.

regards.

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

These additives usually work on the principle of softening hardened seals and to an extent, they may work but as with all products like this, only for a limited time and under quite special circumstances. I reckon they'll only work for garter-type oil seals that have age/heat hardened but are otherwise undamged. They are very unlikely to resolve a leaking gasket.

There is no substitute for getting the the root of a leak properly and resolving it.

What was the reason for your query Nigel?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

jim, there are so many more addatives on the market these days that promise so much in reconditioning seals and stopping leaks, some are quite expensive addatives,

the reason why I asked was accertain which was considered to be the best of the bunch that is if anyone has plundered 20 quid on a bottle of it.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.