Synergie HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BennyB

Synergie HDi

Post by BennyB »

Hiya folks.

I have a synergie HDi which had the loud pronounced 'ticking' noise coming from the engine. As it was due a belt change i have just had a full timing belt kit, water pump, auxilary belt and crank pulley replaced on the car. The problem is that the ticking noise is nowhere near as loud but is still there. If you blip the throttle from tickover you can hear it more pronounced for a second as the revs drop but it is there all the time.

Does anyone have any ideas?

My other problem is that i have just done an oil change and stuck 15w40 in by mistake rather than 10w40 as stated in the handbook!! Is this likely to cause any problems?

I'm just after peace of mind as the car has never let me down. I live in the NE of Scotland and the car is going to France via Dover on the amily hols this weekend!!

Cheers
Benny. :D
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

TBH the quality of the oil is more important. Providing it meets the relevent SAE and/or ACEA specification then the only thing you'll be likely to notice is a slightly more difficult turning over when cold. If you've got a good battery this shouldn't be problem - maybe in winter though, if it gets really cold!

The ticking noise could be a worn or sticking cam follower. The slight quietning could be from the slightly thicker oil. Does the ticking when you blip the throttle change at engine speed or half engine speed?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
BennyB

Post by BennyB »

At idle when you blip the throttle it ticks on the way down between around 2000 down to 1500 rpm. Hold the throttle in that range and it's constant.

When coming down the box it's at all revs by the time you drop to second gear and normal engine noise is down so you can hear it.

What i have just noticed is that it seems less severe when you switch the Aircon on!!

Had a good listen to it and the noise is definately coming from the offside around the belts area.
asav
My Cars:

Post by asav »

I'v got a loud ticking noise coming from my synergie, can hear it more pronounced when idling, have been told its more than likely a hydrolic lifter for 1 of the tappets and shouldn't cause any problems, tried an oil change as was told this might get rid of it...didn't!...also told it could be 1 of the fuel injectors??