'98 XSARA 1.9TD Heater Matrix

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

a4gom
My Cars:

'98 XSARA 1.9TD Heater Matrix

Post by a4gom »

Wet mats in the foot well, steamed up window with oily mist :cry:

I've had a poke about and there doesn't appear to be any pipes under the dash so Looks like the matrix has gone. I started trying to get to it but removed quite a bit of the dash / instruments and didn't seem to be getting anywhere. The car is a daily drive so i thought I better put it back together and wait till i had the new part to hand.

I've since read its a complete dash out job :shock:

We are supposed to be going on our jollies to devon in a fortnight, 800+ mile trip, typical. I've stuck some K-seal in the coolant and it appears to have sorted it. On the bottle it says permanent fix, in my opinion its temporary but I'd be grateful to hear peeps experiences using this as I really can't see myself getting time to do a permanent fix before our hols and a dash out job will cost more than the cars worth at a garage.
If I'm to risk it I might rig up a bypass before I go just in case, presumably the heater matrix pipes stick through the bulkhead and the rubber hoses fit on from the engine bay, anyone know what the OD of the matrix pipes are?

I'd also appreciate any tips on doing the big task, does the dash really have to come out? I read a post somewhere which claimed it was possible to do it by removing the central portion? Does the steering wheel really need to come off, I hate messing with airbags etc. Is there anyway of finding out what the code is for the radio before I take it out, i'll be buggered if i can find the paperwork (typical)

TIA
Andy
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

You've answered you own question really..

Unfortunally, it IS a dash out job, COMPLETELY! unfortunally the matrix outlet pipes are attached DIRECTLY to the pipes under the bonnet meaning it needs to be buried at the rear most of the dash..

Steering wheel off more for access, but I dont think the colum needs to come off.. remove : Clocks, switches, readio, heater controls, lower foot panels in foot well, ash tray, glove box, passenger air bag if fitted, and anything else attached to the dash that looks like it neeeds to come off...

then scuttle trim at bottom of windscreen off and undo the three bolts holdingthe dash to the bulkhead... Im not sure how hard it is on the Xsara to get the scuttle off, but on the Xantias original paste is DAMM hard!!

Sorry to bear bad news..

Regards
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto