My crunchy 2nd gear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bren
My Cars:

My crunchy 2nd gear

Post by Bren »

Why does it get worse when the engine/ box is hot? I was hoping that it may be clutch drag but it only does this when 2nd gear is engaged. Syncro/ baulk rings maybe? It does'nt give me any trouble from cold.

Gear oil has been changed and replaced with correct stuff, although it does leak, I am worried that it has been run low in the past (before I purchased it - I am a very conscientious owner).

I start a new job in a couple of weeks and I won't have the opportunity to mess about getting the box replaced.

As always, your view are appreciated.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Strange because synchro problems usually improve as the gearbox warms up. If you can put it in and out of gear with the engine running and clutch fully depressed without it crunching, its the gearbox
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

could be clutch drag when warmed up or oil is thicker when cold so don't always get it to crunch.2nd gets about the most wear on way up the box weak spot if memory serves me right? If you can't sort out for a while? why don't you just double declutch? for those that don't know! clutch down out of gear clutch up push down into gear then release and away you go... then going back down! sim just have to blip throttle to get near engine speed. idea is to match load on both sides so meshes easy.
If you're realy good you can go up and down without using clutch at all!
xantia 19td estate 96-7
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

In this family, it's called double de-crunch! I do it out of habit when changing down.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Could it have an incorrect grade of oil in?
Some of the boxes HAVE to have I believe 75/80W but on oil changes a lot of people, garages included, think that 90W is fine - it isn't!
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I agree 75/80w is what you need but I always had a similar problem with second gear getting hard to mesh when the engine was hot now I add wynns transmission lubricant to every gear oil change it claims to seal leaks as well and costs about a fiver for a tube to treat 2 litres of oil which is more than enough when the xantia box holds 1.9 litres of oil from empty, at oil change if the box has not been fully drained over night you only need about 1.8litres of gear oil Including the addative mixed in.

it might also pay to wrap some PTFE tape (from a plumbing shop) around the thread of the gearbox drain bolt before reinserting it into the bottom of the box this helps to prevent any oil running throught the threads.

I also use this on the engine sump nut.

the wynns addative seems to improve gear change quite a bit. I found that the box wines a lot without the extra addative, mixed into the oil before it is put into the box.

after completely destroying a BX box once I decided to use some extra addative in my xantia.

its good stuff and gearchange is always smooth. hot or cold

regards nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Whilst Wynns might help, the root problem here is a worn synchro cone. They are incredibly weak in the BE3, being made of soft allot, and any running on wrong or low oil will wear them badly. Also, if the car has ever suffered a clutch clip failure and the 'box has been forced into second, that'll cause the synchro to wear for certain.

It's not fatal and the 'box will soldier on for donkeys like it. Do as Guy suggests and learn double-declutching until time and finances allow the 'box to be either overhauled (not difficult) or replaced.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

As has been mentioned, 2nd gear is the most likely to suffer from synchro failure, so if the other gears are OK that's probably the problem. Learn to 'double declutch' you had to do it on the cars I used to drive, they didn't have synchro on Ist.