Flaming browsers

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Flaming browsers

Post by MikeT »

After experiencing problems using IE8 on ebay, I installed Firefox yesterday and all was well until I loaded the FCF index page this morning. I had to log in (it's usually set to automatic) which I did and ticked the Automatic button but it just REDIRECTS me back to the index page in an infinite loop - log in, redirect, log in ad nauseum.

I've had to go back to IE8 to log in but IE8 is now hassling me to "Manage, disable or remove your add-ons". Clicking the link brings up the Add-On manager but it show's Add-Ons are enabled thus creating another inescapable loop. Anyone know how to sort this mess?

Trying to post this message failed in "Invalid Session, Please resubmit" :evil: :evil:

And now I've lost all NEW POSTS markers :roll:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've only one word to say to you Michael.....

OPERA
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Ok, the fat lady has sung. :lol:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i use Firefox with no probs at all

regards malcolm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

My firefox is fine with it even after a week or so away from a machine it remembers me :)
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

After installing Opera and getting back on here, I returned to IE8 and, ignoring the PITA warning about ADD-ONS, it worked fine on this forum too.

But going back to Ebay with Firefox and I find the formatting has gone all gaga - pages three times as wide. Seems each browser has a means of interfering with the others. :roll:

Thanks for the feedback.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

No problems with Firefox. Currently using "A Browser 3.5" which is Firefox without the name.
Firefox with the name won't install at the minute (Ubufox, actually)
Have no problems at all with Firefox on Vista, Or Chrome, or Flock.

On Ubuntu, Epihany*, Galeon and Kazahakase all render the forum fine. Konqueror is a bit Klunky.

I have had quite a few issues with Opera. Always crashes on eBay, among other things.

*currently posting on Epiphany.

ETA: While on the topic, this may be of interest, also this.
I can't abide IE.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm a computer simpleton, and generally run IE. After reading the problems Mike experienced, I've deferred any install of IE8 until FCF is upgraded to the newer phpBB format.

Regards, Adam.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Damn programmers - don't fix old bugs just create new ones.

I think I've found out why I've been having multiple browser troubles as it all began after installing Linksys software - another load of crud. That's been removed but as a precaution, so has IE8. I'm now back to IE7 and all is well again. :roll:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've seen other nasties produced by IE8 :twisted: One such did not allow any downloads at all so if you wanted to revert to a different browser, you couldn't. Crafty that!

One has high hopes that this new Google Chrome OS will finally fix this situation.

I find the best OS of all is a very basic installation of XP with the bare minimum of "Crippleware" installed. Lean and mean.

As said elseware, the only brower that fits my criteria of lean, mean and basic is Opera. It works a treat for me.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

As we're pretty much dominated by MS I've learnt it's best to try and get along with what they provide whenever possible. Unfortunately, that means NOT expecting new releases to be out of beta, despite what they claim. Venturing into competitor software usually means a compromise at best as MS does their best to make it incompatible with their OS.

Like you Jim, MS was forced on me in my profession so had little choice - otherwise I'd probably still be using my Amiga!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Talking of betas and M$, Vista at the moment is the furthest I'm likely to go until I absolutely have to.
I've got Windows7 running on a virtual machine at home, but upon discovering that they have removed the classic start menu, I've had no interest in it at all.
I don't want to have to type the name of the program I want or scroll through all my start menu folders looking for it.
As for getting to your network card settings, forget it.

Browserwise, I use IE8 (with the tab grouping turned off to make it marginally less difficult to see which is the active tab now they aren't coloured) for safe sites that I know, and Firefox with no-script for anything dubious.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Linux :D
I'm sure Steve (myglaren) will agree with me on this one.

Im currently running Fedora on this machine dual booting with XP. At work, I've got XP with an Ubuntu VirtualBox. Can't very well move over to Ubuntu fully due to Microsoft servers.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

I'm really looking forward to the full release of win 7, from what I've seen in the RC1 its really good, taken lots of features from my fav operating system OS X..

*runs for cover*

Browser wise there are a few sites which don’t render correctly in non MS browsers, but that’s not because of faults with alternate browsers its web sites pandering to the strange non standard rendering techniques used by IE6/7. IE8 promises to actually follow the standard rules and not make up its own wacky stuff.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

I use "SeaMonkey" on Windows 2000 which is a simple minimal browser based on Mozilla. It seems to work ok on most things. I really can't abide complicated browsers packed with features I never use.
Last edited by ellevie on 10 Jul 2009, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
David

BX19TRS 120K E Reg 1992-2013
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg