back suspension still at the low when at normal height

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia2.1td

back suspension still at the low when at normal height

Post by xantia2.1td »

i have a citroen xantia 2.1 td vsx r-reg mk1 and when the car is a usual ride height the back suspension is still low and do you know what is the problem and how can i solve it
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi and welcome to the forum :D

I suspect very much that the white plastic link has become detetched between the rear anti-roll bar and the height corrector. A common enough occurrance.

This is normally because the height corrector mechanism has seized up of become stiff.

Jack up and SUPPORT VERY SECURELY (these cars can kill if the suspension collapses on you) and have a look at the height corrector link. If it is off, don't reattach it until you have given the height corrector some TLC. Douse it is WD40 and exercise it before greasing it. I find spray grease works well.

If the corrector remains stiff in operation, you may need to remove it and give it a real good overhaul.

There are laods of posts on here concerning this issue. A seach will give some useful threads.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia2.1td

have u got a pic of where it is located on the car

Post by xantia2.1td »

have u got a pic of where it is located on the car
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Like Jim says its reasonably common for rear height to have the little white 'clippy thing' become broken or detached from the roll bar, or correctors to be come corroded and stick.
Check the condition of the corrector, its just behind the spare wheel, looks something like this
That image seems to be taken from lying directly underneath the height corrector
Note thats not my picture found via the magic of google.

Link the the picture, it has captions in the highlighted areas.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deiz92/429467953/

Hope this helps.

Oh and Hi welcome to the forum.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
xantia2.1td

Post by xantia2.1td »

thanks mate
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as has already been said appart from its as Jim said its the H/C exturnal linkage's which become seized/stiff, as the actual H/C its self very seldom gives any problems,

Martin at PLEAIDES has in the past sold me just the H/C carridge/mountting/bracket before at a very resonable price, very quick service to boot,

if you go this route studdy very closely how the H/C is attatched to the mechanisum, it is fiddly but quite simple, but also can and will try to go in the wrong way

regards malcolm
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The anti roll bar clamp can also break!! Rather then popping off the ball joints!!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto