306 D-Turbo service.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

306 D-Turbo service.

Post by myglaren »

A simple question, as I am a simpleton.

I set out to service my son's 306 1.9 Turbo Diesel.

Discovered that I hadn't a socket or spanner to fit the sump drain plug. Postpone that then!

Oil filter is only hand tight, no problems ther then.

Air filter, when I found it :( was the wrong one, postpone that!

Diesel filter then.

But where is it? Can't see the damned thing anywhere, and I expected to have it finished by 17:30, having started at 16:45. The Xantia only used to take about fifteen minutes but everything was easily accessible and VISIBLE!

Hydraulic suspension did cut the time down considerably of course, no pittling around with trolley jacks.

May be back for more advice too. Have the daughter's Saab to do while she is away in a couple of weeks time.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ohh Steve :roll: Not a good day...

I know what you mean about the sump plug :twisted: 21mm sir, a size not often seen in yer average socket/spanner set. You must replace the copper washer or it'll annoyingly drip for ever more :evil:

Fuel filter. Under what looks like a mini black gasometer on top of the thermostat housing. The lisd is fastened by four small allen screws. Don't ovetighten them!

What deranged mind designed the 306 airbox and paced it there :twisted: :twisted: Only a crazy Frenchman :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks Jim!

I looked at the item described then thought - Nah! it can't be, tooooooooo complicated by half. The Xantia one was dead simple and looked like what it was supposed to be.

I saw a hex (allen) key fitting on the sump plug but tracking down the right key could take days. I know I don't have a 21mm spanner or socket though so I won't even try to find one.

Job deferred until Saturday now (again :( )

I looked online for service items (Oil, filters, plugs etc) and two things jumped out at me.

1) Hard to pin down which power steering fluid is required. Heard that one before somewhere 8)

2) Antifreeze. The only thing I found was from an American service agent who ONLY uses Mercedes-Benz antifreeze and his article was quite an eye-opener as regards the health and longevity of cooling systems filled with this bit of alchemy, also the hugely reduced frequency of head gasket failures, which really surprised a Saab trained mechanic who came to work for him.

May deserve further investigation!